project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: ka dropzone of artworks  (Read 6358 times)

kaeau

ka dropzone of artworks
« on: October 18, 2006, 08:53:09 pm »
hi i ll drop in here, what i consider as useless, recherche, scribbles, etc.
most of this content is just a documentary of any part of the design process and, well, for the dustbin..
ka
www.ninc.at

kaeau

ka dropzone of artworks
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 08:57:54 pm »
so, firt run, searching for style and shapes

^^^^ btw, this one above is actually alright. its a huge ufo, walkable in the upper section, combining elements of a zeppelin with classic ufo design and likewise a nuclear mushroom cloud. strange visual combination (and thats why it is allright with me)...^^^^^^

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
ka dropzone of artworks
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 10:56:03 pm »
looks cool - the last one could be a really good replacement for one of our broken ugv models

Hoehrer

ka dropzone of artworks
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 11:36:29 pm »
I agree, very cool models there 8)

@Mattn: Since when are the UGV models broken? The only thing not working  right now are the textures (i.e the mdoels are black/grey) ... which should be fixed after a re-export IIRC.

Werner

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
ka dropzone of artworks
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 01:21:01 am »
The models are quite nice, just keep in mind that we won't be featuring any magical hovering technology, so no floating castles or flying saucers. We really have to keep away from the 'flying saucer' UFO design, as it doesn't fit the models we already have or the storyline description of UFO propulsion.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
ka dropzone of artworks
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:16:50 am »
which one(s) did you mean Winter?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
ka dropzone of artworks
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 06:05:36 pm »
Quote from: "Mattn"
which one(s) did you mean Winter?

It was just a general caution. The flying saucer, for example, that doesn't work with our current stable of models -- but we could definitely use the 'hovertank' at the bottom of the list as a UGV, if kaeau can manage to make it look light with the texture.

The model above the hovertank would make a good Small Transport-class UFO, too. It just needs to match the general style of what we already have, unless we intend to change the UFO style.

Regards,
Winter

sirg

ka dropzone of artworks
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 08:23:48 am »
The UFO Design 2, and Design one, are quite original and nice.
Even though an UFO could look in any way, most people associate UFO with flying saucers, so 1st model and design #2 are great.

From what I've seen in the "secure the alien ship" mission, the one with the landed ship, that ship looks much like the spaceshutle and less "alien" to me.

P.S. The "guns" on the UFOs look kind of bulky, in contrast with the smooth and "advanced tech" shapes of the craft. Try hiding the barrels a bit.

Offline rastaman_bey

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
ka dropzone of artworks
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 02:25:36 pm »
Hi,

Really nice design, these UFOs, I like the look!
The problem is if you want to implement the UFOs as md2 models into a tactical map, you can hardly make them walkable. The other problem you will get is that md2 models will not affect light and shadow calculation when you compile the map parts. SparX and I experimented much on the topic if it is better to implement UFOs as part of a Radiant map or as md2 models, and we think the Radiant method is superior.
Kaeau, if you agree I will try to "model" your UFO designs 01 and 04 in Radiant. Is this OK? I hope I can redo the cool looks... :wink: