project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Research Tree and Alien Base(s)  (Read 13577 times)

Offline bit5nip3r

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Research Tree and Alien Base(s)
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:12:12 pm »
Can you tell me when Human Attacks Phalanx and Odd Behaviour become avaiable to research?  At the moment I have researched everthing (well those that I can), except for some of the story tree and aircraft elements.  The Story Tree elements, I've researched are:

Dead Alien - Alien Autopsy
Alien Origins - Alien Astrogation
Live Alien - Alien Mind (I have 9 live aliens)

.. don;t seem to have Odd Behaviour, Alien Communication etc, and others available. Should a mission type or event occur before I can progress these?

Also can I ask about the Alien Base(s).  The Aliens setting up Alien Bases on Earth: again do these occurr only when the Alien Interest factor has reached a certain threshold?  For example, when would "Alien Base Discovered" appear?  Until then I can't research new drop ships.

By the way guys can I just say that UFO: AI is an absolute awesome and impressive game; has taken me back to my XCOM days.

Offline Salvo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Research Tree and Alien Base(s)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:51:03 pm »
I sense your Alien Containment is empty and unused. Try filling it up.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:17:37 pm »
he says he has 9 live aliens. do you need ten?

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:19:02 pm »
strong in the force are you

Offline bit5nip3r

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:25:25 pm »
Yeap, looks like you need 10 aliens.  Just got my tenth and Odd behaviour now appears.  Still not sure about Human Phalanx Attacks and Alien Bases.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:58:24 pm »
Yeap, looks like you need 10 aliens.  Just got my tenth and Odd behaviour now appears.  Still not sure about Human Phalanx Attacks and Alien Bases.

afaik humans attack phalanx is not yet implemented.

alien bases... um, don't know. can't remember how it went.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 12:28:32 am »
alien bases... um, don't know. can't remember how it went.

alien base building missions spawn around alien interest of 400.

-geever

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:53:34 am »
and of course you have to *find* the alien base, it doesn't just pop up and introduce itself.

Nokim

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:24:14 am »
And how i'm supposed to find alien base? In XCOM I could send aircraft to patrol some area if i suspect alien base there, but i can't do so in UFO:AI. Radar detection coverage can't cover all ground, there is a lot of space just with tracking coverage and i can't build more radar towers because of limit. I believe however there is no any alien base in my game right now - i'm shooting down everything detected.

Perhaps there should be some equipment for aircraft to give them wider radar coverage in place of targeting computer or ECM unit and ability to send aircraft to patrol some area. This is useful in case of small gaps in radar coverage too - to have interceptor to fly to supposed alien ship location, not immediately return to the base.

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:30:51 am »
you have to manually follow a supply ship. This is a real pain in the a**.... if only our fighters had "track" buttons like UFO did.

since they don't, you can just right-click and follow a supply ship around till it vanishes... pause the game, zoom in to where it vanished, and right click there. If you're right on top of it, your ship will scout the base.

I spent quite a while playing before I realized I probably had no bases, because I was shooting everything down.

I let them land once or twice, and then there was a base...

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 10:49:20 am »
In XCOM I could send aircraft to patrol some area if i suspect alien base there, but i can't do so in UFO:AI.

Base > Aircraft > Look for a little icon in the bottom right panel to launch aircraft.

Nokim

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 11:16:33 am »
Base > Aircraft > Look for a little icon in the bottom right panel to launch aircraft.
Cool. Never thought it meant to send to some coordinates, not after UFO. But how to redirect already sent aircraft? And why it's mission is stated as crashed UFO? Seems more like some hack, not implemented feature.

I have a lot of free space on some my bases (there are only radar and interceptors with some security team). Now i can build large hangars and use Firebirds as cheap temporary radar towers? :D

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 11:17:28 am »
there's an idea - some sort of radar equipment for aircraft, put that and some extra fuel on a firebird = awacs :)

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 11:18:56 am »
aircraft can be redirected mid-flight by selecting it (click) then clicking on the map (click) and it'll fly there (wroom).

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 04:40:16 pm »
how about showing the map coordinates when a certain button is pressed? that would help find alien bases a little... also the pickup area for ships should be increased a little, by about 50% I reckon