project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Feedback  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Tyrranus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • The 5th War
Feedback
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:12:43 pm »
So Ive been playing it off and on for a little under a week, and on the whole I love it. There are a few issues that bug me tho that I thought worth offering my perspective on.

Ive only played the Full Campaign on Standard Difficulty so I dont know if these are specific to this game type or not but here goes:
1)Research times are disgustingly long for even early techs
2)Manufacturing times are similarly too long
3)The availability of replacement soldiers, pilots, and new scientists is WAY too low per month.
3a)Given the huge tech times I figured the only way to get around that was a ton of labs and new scientists but you just cant get ahold of enough :/
4)The power level difference between the Scout UFO(the first seen) and the Fighter UFO(second seen) is WAY too dramatic. Ive launched 2 interceptors at the same time at them and loose both without killing the UFO every time.
4a)This would be less of an issue if you could upgrade your weapons faster but as you cannot...

Lastly..a question :)
What determines if you can auto battle on a map or not? It seems kinda random if that button is grayed out or not.

-----
edit:
An idea to help with the scientist issue, when you build a new lab, have it come with 5 scientists
-----
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:21:02 pm by Tyrranus »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:53:04 pm »
1-4 are all undergoing adjustments for the next release.

Nokim

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:32:34 pm »
4. unarmed scout and armed fighter? It's really BIG difference :)
I'm now playing on hard difficulty with minimal save/load. Well, first three months were difficult. And VERY insufficient funding. So i now see Corruptors and have not enough money to build forth base, third is barely operational.
About adjustments... Saracen now is useless. They are fast but you can't equip it with sparrowhawk missiles, others weapons just is not effective enough and can be used only as secondary, so it's useless until you got particle beam weapons. And UFOpedia states that Saracen can take more damage then Stiletto - that's not true.

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:52:03 pm »
A secondary aspect of the game is learning how to manage your economy and finances.  If you're running out of money it's because you're expanding too fast.  Hold back and plan your finances out.  Use the statistics to see how much you need to save each month to cover shortfalls.  I always play on at least hard mode and never have issues with funding or country happiness.  Don't sell captured UFO's to the highest bidder, sell them to disgruntled countries.  The extra money isn't worth it, and their happiness improves.  Sell all your captured technology.

Offline Tyrranus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • The 5th War
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:25:23 pm »
Mechanically for item 4 Im just saying there should be something in the middle. First UFO can be shot down with 1 interceptor w/o issue. The second should be a bit too much for just 1 interceptor but doable with 2. Third should be just outside possible for 2 interceptors unless they've upgraded their weapons

Great to hear :)

Nokim

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 06:55:18 pm »
Mechanically for item 4 Im just saying there should be something in the middle. First UFO can be shot down with 1 interceptor w/o issue. The second should be a bit too much for just 1 interceptor but doable with 2. Third should be just outside possible for 2 interceptors unless they've upgraded their weapons
But that's so now! Scout can be shoot down by any armed aircraft capable to catch it. Fighter can be shoot down by two interceptors (Stiletto) without problem with right weapons (Sparrowhawk missiles or PBW). Even one interceptor have chance to shoot it down but i wouldn't recommend to try it. Harvester can be shoot down by two Saracens with PBW (well, that was so before rebalancing, didn't test after). Stingray with PBW alone can shoot down anything except Corruptor (for that just not enough ammo, assistance required).

Offline Tyrranus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • The 5th War
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 11:02:36 pm »
ATM every time I have tried to shoot down the fighter with two interceptors they die. Admittedly Im using just the base weapons not pbw but Ive only just gotten Laser weapons.

Nokim

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 11:40:23 pm »
ATM every time I have tried to shoot down the fighter with two interceptors they die. Admittedly Im using just the base weapons not pbw but Ive only just gotten Laser weapons.
Which base weapons? TR-20 rockets and SHIVA cannon almost useless. First because of high miss rate, second too short range + high miss rate. Interceptor with them just can't survive long enough to deal serious damage to alien craft. Aerial laser cannon can be used as secondary but not primary due to its short range (compared to Fighter's PBW). So, you got only Sparrowhawk missiles until get working PBW. It's expensive but it worth it. Two Stiletto each with two missile racks (+targeting computer x 2 or with one ECM) shoot down Fighter without problem. Launched together from same base of course. That's from my real game experience. I'm also using plastic armor for better survival. I have tried other base weapons and lost many interceptors (and pilots) in such way. That was really rough time because of pilot's shortage in beginning.

So, more hits = quicker kill = less damage taken.

Offline Tyrranus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • The 5th War
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 05:37:34 am »
I use the cannon in the nose(since its the only weapon you can mount there) and twin sparrowhawk with ecm and targeting.... Id love to add armor to the interceptor but how? There is no slot when you select armor

Offline Thurak

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 11:48:28 am »
There is a scrollbar on the left which normally starts with "weapons". You can change that to armour, ammunition and items.

Nokim

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 03:06:29 pm »
Id love to add armor to the interceptor but how? There is no slot when you select armor
Just select desired armor and press equip button. It was harder figure out how remove armor ;)

Offline Tyrranus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • The 5th War
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 03:49:04 pm »
silly me I expected it to show a box like weapons and items -.-