Development > Sounds and Music

Get rid of the silence!

(1/1)

Crystan:
Okay - the battlescape is very quite which causes a lack of atmosphere in battlescape. We got some maps with some 2D Amb sounds (plays always at the same volume, regardless the position of the camera) which is a good start. So i came up with the idea to post a thread with some suggestions and tips for new mappers. Cut a long story short - here are my thoughts:

- Add 3d amb sounds to things like rivers, lakes, fire sites etc.
- Add 2d STEREO amb sounds like city_abnd_ufoai_atm.ogg or ufo_night_atm.ogg (i can provide some, but amb sounds are not my strong point)
- Never, NEVER use a sound which have less than 22khz or have a obviously a bad quality.
- Dont use any sounds which have a bad loop or will be noticable repetitive.
- Oh dear god of code, please let someone implement my Footstep feature request ;)

Mattn:
maybe you should create a sounds section in the wiki mapping category

Crystan:
Okay dokey

solbu:

--- Quote from: Crystan on May 25, 2012, 02:44:00 am ---- Never, NEVER use a sound which have less than 22khz
--- End quote ---
The wiki already says that the minimum is 44kHz.

Crystan:

--- Quote from: solbu on May 30, 2012, 04:39:46 am ---The wiki already says that the minimum is 44kHz.

--- End quote ---
I know - i wrote it. Ensuing that no mapper will read that, its meant as a special instructions 4 them. ;) Its also hard to find good amb sounds with 44khz afaik.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version