project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: hovernet temporary model 01?  (Read 13840 times)

kaeau

hovernet temporary model 01?
« on: October 15, 2006, 05:07:49 pm »

take a look,
i have modified the hover cameras from c. corperations, perhaps those will fit as temporary models for the hovernet drones..

greetings
ka
www.ninc.at

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: hovernet temporary model 01?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 06:03:07 pm »
Quote from: "kaeau"

take a look,
i have modified the hover cameras from c. corperations, perhaps those will fit as temporary models for the hovernet drones..

greetings
ka
www.ninc.at

Is it recognisable as a modified model (I.E. would we get in trouble for using it), and why would we use it only temporarily? It's a good model, we could definitely find a place for it.

For feedback: The gun is a bit dodgy, it looks like an old cannon more than a high-tech weapon. Aiming the gun downward is a bit questionable, the vehicle won't hover that far up, especially if it's a ground-effect vehicle.

Other than that, it's great.

Regards,
Winter

kaeau

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 06:05:22 pm »
oh the source, which i have modified is also made by me, no problem..

For feedback: The gun is a bit dodgy, it looks like an old cannon more than a high-tech weapon. Aiming the gun downward is a bit questionable, the vehicle won't hover that far up, especially if it's a ground-effect vehicle.

and, well: thats why i call it temporary

greetings
ka
www.ninc.at

ubequitz

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 09:34:40 pm »
This hovernet drone looks very menacing... nicely done!

Could the incisors(claws?) on the wings be made to look more lethal? Perhaps a bit sharper and a bit more metallic looking? Or they could be turned into lasers and the main gun replaced by some sort of sensor array?

PS: I love your shotgun model... it will soon be the "riot shotgun" in the game :)

kaeau

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 08:48:10 pm »

so, that is ok,
first model to settle alien styles.
hovernet drones.
forget the old one.
ka

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:37:59 pm »
Quote from: "kaeau"

so, that is ok,
first model to settle alien styles.
hovernet drones.
forget the old one.
ka

The old one was better. This new one appears to use some kind of magic antigravity to stay afloat, which we will not be writing into the story. Any hovering enemies will need the fan blades as on the old model.

Regards,
Winter

kaeau

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 10:53:32 pm »
better? the old ? never!
no design concept, no emotional shape, no modes of expression (formensprache), ...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 10:53:46 pm »
i think that this model can hover - below the wings can be hover turbines. i think the model is very stylish - looking forward to see it with textures. thanks for your work - but nevertheless i would like to be able to use the "old" model, too - and maybe only as a mapobject... it's up to you - you are the modeller

Hoehrer

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 11:29:27 pm »
Hm if the hovernet model is supposed to be the same size as the old one (2x2 in the battlescape) it would certainly need some elevation devices (be they propellors, turbines or helium balloons ;) [1]) that take up quite a bit of space/volume to keep it afloat.

There are some propellor and turbine-driven drone concepts pictured in this google-search.

EDIT: I think when Winter wrote he likes the first mdoel better he just referred to this problem, not the overall shape. At least i think he does :)

Other than that i really like both of the models (and the ones in your other thread as well). Keep up the good work 8)

Werner

[1] On the other hand the aliens could have e.g. developed a (more efficient and compact) successor to the ion drive engine as they are already in use in some sattelites and interstellar crafts by NASA. Dunno how this would fit in with the rest of the story.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 01:10:46 am »
Quote from: "Hoehrer"
EDIT: I think when Winter wrote he likes the first mdoel better he just referred to this problem, not the overall shape. At least i think he does :)

That's correct, though I really don't like the overall shape of the new one either. It's too thin to put any useful electronics in the body, and the thing hanging under it -- I presume it's a gun -- is both comically oversized and out of place.

One thing we don't want to do is to use things just because they 'look cool', ignoring the fact that they're badly designed for their supposed purpose or that they couldn't even work according to the laws of physics. The new model resembles a piece of architecture more than a war machine. If it's going to be in combat, it has to look like it would actually work and survive in combat; it should be sleek and nasty and rugged. The new model is anything but.

Hell. It looks like a Segway.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 08:15:16 am »
the aliens flight across the hole universe to destroy the earth. please don't tell me, that they are not able to have newer turbines. if you told a human 50 years before, that there that there will be something like todays computers....  i think he would have react the same way. keep in mind, that they have completly unknown technologies (for the human of 22th century) available. why not another one that can let this hovercraft fly?

what i'm trying to say is: not everything has to explainable with todays knowledge of physics.

best regards
martin

Elbenfreund

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 11:15:35 am »
100% ack

i think we should keep in mind that there is a difference between "reasonable" design and "realistic" ones. at least for me the only reason to actualy  _want_ realism is for the atmosphere. it is a tool nothing more, nor less. so whenever we think about it we should keep the balance between style and realism.
Btw: i like both models a lot, even if it looks like both have quite different aproaches in their design.
The later one is definitly more alien, and i supose alien artifacts to look strange and misterious while the first one seems to fit quite well for human tech.

just my 2c, eric.

kaeau

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 03:53:52 pm »
for propulsion design please consider this thread:

http://ufo.myexp.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=680

ka

kaeau

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 05:22:11 pm »
Hell. It looks like a Segway.

??
the only thing they share are a kind of futurisic / modern approach.
and that can be said for almost every modern piece of design...
ka

ubequitz

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 08:06:36 pm »
kaeau, I have to say I do like the new model better than the old one. It looks beautiful and alien. I personally think aliens that can star-travel great distances would have technology to enable this model to hover (be it using ion drives, a "relatively drive" http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/22/2226258&from=rss or some sort of magnetic or anti-gravity device http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html ... indeed the possibilities are endless because our understanding of physics is not yet complete, our ability to store and generate power in a compact way is incomplete, our material science is lacking etc). Capturing alien artifacts and discovering new science/technologies then adapting them for our own use should be part of the game. This might include radical new technologies not just enhancements on stuff humans have already developed.

However, if it is absolutely essential that aliens can't have radically different technology then surely the model can be altered slightly to include thin (but armoured) turbines on the winds and tail... that should provide enough upward propulsion. Some guns could also be integrated into the wings.

I re-iterate... I like the new model alot, and I think you are a really talented artist kaeau (and yes it doesn't look like a segway)!