project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Can not add new model of weapon  (Read 12075 times)

Offline Asarhadon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Can not add new model of weapon
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 08:35:49 pm »
I didn't see any normalmap in the zip file you attached. Are you sure you've got a _nm file in place?
Yes Im sure :)
I decided to remove the file because I did not see the effect of normal map. There is not NM in archive. But I even tried to add normal map from another model (if my normal was wrong), but still the effect is not seen. :(

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 08:45:20 pm »
Hmm..., looking at your settings, doesn't the Intel Graphic Hardware Hack cause the shaders be forcibly disabled if you have it activated? (and enables Texture Compression IIRC) you should try disabling it.

Offline Asarhadon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 05:42:24 pm »
Hmm..., looking at your settings, doesn't the Intel Graphic Hardware Hack cause the shaders be forcibly disabled if you have it activated? (and enables Texture Compression IIRC) you should try disabling it.
I disabled Intel Graphic Hardware Hack, but i didnt see normal map.
Is it need to add normal map in skins when export in md2 format (like difuse map .assault and .assault_nm)? or im jast need to copy NM in directory?

PS: and you did not say anything about my model, bad / normal model or you can/cann't add it in the game.

character Animation:
Is the animation sequences need to be separated only in .anm file format or in 3dsMAx to (im asking coz i didnt know how to do this in MAX)? (for example in .anm file we have sequence: dead1   30 60 18)
Can I create .anim file in any TXT program?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:54:59 pm by Asarhadon »

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 06:25:07 pm »
if armed civilians/army forces at some point get added to the game, gun models like this would be good for them?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 11:24:47 pm »
Is it need to add normal map in skins when export in md2 format (like difuse map .assault and .assault_nm)? or im jast need to copy NM in directory?

If you have a file with *_nm.png, it should appear. I haven't worked a lot with model normalmaps so I can't say for sure that they are working. But as far as I know they should be. A lot of our maps have flat lighting. Try standing near a light on a night-time map to see it best.

PS: and you did not say anything about my model, bad / normal model or you can/cann't add it in the game.

The model looks nice. What's the poly count? I haven't had a chance to look at it in an editor. Our game starts in 2084 and we prefer future-tech rifles, so we won't be including it in the game. You can always create and release an expanded armoury mod to allow players more weapon choices. I think a lot of players would like that. Talk to Trashman about it. He's made lots of rifles that I've been trying to get him to release in a mod (a strong mod community is a good thing).

Animation:
Can be weapon animated? if yes, how to add weapon anim in the game?

Not that I know of.

character Animation:
Is the animation sequences need to be separated only in .anm file format or in 3dsMAx to (im asking coz i didnt know how to do this in MAX)? (for example in .anm file we have sequence: dead1   30 60 18)
Can I create .anim file in any TXT program?

You can create the .anm file in any basic text editor. Are you working on a character, by any chance? or just hopeing to animate the gun?

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 12:02:12 am »
Our game starts in 2084 and we prefer future-tech rifles, so we won't be including it in the game.

Have there been actual plans to add "armed 3rd parties", or has it been just suggestions/discussion?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 12:17:14 am »
*spoiler* There are plans to have humans attack Phalanx.

I don't know of any definite plans to have civilians or a third-party armed and fighting aliens on the battlescape.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 12:27:58 am »
well, just thought that it might be kewl if these "other humans" could use different, perhaps more old-fashioned weapons.

edit - not the humans you linked to though if they're going to have alien weapons =)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 12:55:03 am »
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the AK weapons were still banging around in 2084. Extraordinary gun that has featured in almost every small war in the last 50 years.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 01:07:02 am »
with the vast numbers they were (and still are?) made, with all the clones and spinoffs, I would be surprised if some AK's weren't still in use after another 60 years.

Offline Asarhadon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 01:57:35 pm »
A lot of our maps have flat lighting. Try standing near a light on a night-time map to see it best.
On map or night-time map model is too small to see anything. I think that normal maps need to be use only in the interface of the base/ingame-Wiki where the weapons represented more detailed. But I'll try

The model looks nice. What's the poly count?

You can always create and release an expanded armoury mod to allow players more weapon choices. I think a lot of players would like that. Talk to Trashman about it. He's made lots of rifles that I've been trying to get him to release in a mod (a strong mod community is a good thing).
It's a good idea.

Are you working on a character, by any chance? or just hopeing to animate the gun?
Yes. I'm going to create the character (I can not promise that :( ). But I don`t know what files to edit to add character to the game. Can you tell me what files to edit?
And of course, I would like to create animation for the weapons too. it can be just barrel off at least.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the AK weapons were still banging around in 2084. Extraordinary gun that has featured in almost every small war in the last 50 years.
with the vast numbers they were (and still are?) made, with all the clones and spinoffs, I would be surprised if some AK's weren't still in use after another 60 years.
I think so :)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 02:23:50 pm »
On map or night-time map model is too small to see anything. I think that normal maps need to be use only in the interface of the base/ingame-Wiki where the weapons represented more detailed. But I'll try

Our UI does not support normalmaps (or specularity) for models. It doesn't use the same renderer as the battlescape.

383 tris (polys) in this model
That's a good count.

Yes. I'm going to create the character (I can not promise that :( ). But I don`t know what files to edit to add character to the game. Can you tell me what files to edit?

It depends on what kind of character you want to create: alien, soldier, civilian? You'll need to add the model and animation to the appropriate folder under /base/models/. Then you'll want to edit the appropriate /base/ufos/team_*.ufo file. A single entry in the Africa civilian team in team_civilians.ufo looks like this:

Code: [Select]
civilians/male body02 head02 0 0 //body:arabic looking, head: beard, white hat
THat would be:

Code: [Select]
path/from/base/models/to/your/model body_model_name head_model_name body_skin head_skin