project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Changing the number of combatants  (Read 3022 times)

Offline xcomfanatic20

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Changing the number of combatants
« on: May 18, 2012, 05:20:36 pm »
Hi there,
I want to be able to do the following when it comes to combatant numbers during the single player full campaigns:
- Be able to increase the number of alien attackers, whether it be during recovery missions or terror campaigns. I also want to increase the number of civilians to make it trickier.
- I want to be able to change the combatant numbers during base defenses. I want to be able to use all of the available soldiers and dramatically ramp up the alien numbers.
Where do I start in the code?
Thanks in advance.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the number of combatants
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 05:39:21 pm »
I want to be able to do the following when it comes to combatant numbers during the single player full campaigns:

"Want"? Not "Would like to"? ;)

Anyway, it's not that's easy as you think. The number of soldiers, aliens and civilians in a battle are not only limited by the code and scripts, but the maps themselves either. You will need to modify all maps for such a change...

-geever

Offline xcomfanatic20

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:51:09 am »
Sorry for the 'want'. It was a 'want' because I really would like to ramp up some intensity in the game. I finished it and believe that even in the normal campaign, there must be a point where you just get flooded with alien troops. By the mid stage you are more than capable of handling them on the ground. In the skies is another matter.
I do realise that you need to put more alien, civilian and soldier entities in the map using ufo-radiant. I have a rough idea as to where in the ufo files to change to increase the number of aliens/civilians/soldiers in the map/ships (team_<--->.ufo I think). I just wanted (here it is again) to know what part of the code and user interface you need to change to take these into account.

Thanks in advance.

ps. I have always used 'want'. If I was insistent I would use 'need'. Apologies if I sounded rude. It will be a 'would' from now on.
(you say to-may-toe, I say to-maa-tow).

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:57:32 pm »
Hi xcomfanatic20. If you look at /base/ufos/aircraftmanagent.ufo, you will see that all of the UFOs are defined with a numteam number. You can increase that to increase the maximum aliens available in a single UFO.

However, I believe there is also some code somewhere that effects how many are actually in each UFO. I'm not sure what parameters it uses, but I would very much like to see this entirely defined in scripts (.ufo files). If you are a coder, perhaps you could try to implement this? It'd be very nice to be able to better define and control the number of aliens appearing throughout the campaign -- and to do this through the scripts.

Most maps support enough spawns for more aliens, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about this.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 06:16:50 pm »
Hi, xcomfanatic20
However, I believe there is also some code somewhere that effects how many are actually in each UFO.
The number of aliens in a mission is affected by the alien interest level, see cp_alien_interest.* and cp_missions.*