project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Soldier's view of battlescape?  (Read 4693 times)

Offline dp

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Soldier's view of battlescape?
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »
I've been playing the OSX 2.4-dev recently after being away from the game for awhile.

I seem to remember that there used to be a way to view the battlescape from each soldier's perspective. But I can't find a command for that in the Key Bindings, or anywhere else. Is my memory faulty, or was this feature dropped?

BTW, I *finally* realized that the "HUD" is the user interface for the battlespace. I think "HUD" is a misleading name because -- for those familiar with real-world HUDs (and HMDs) -- it implies a display for the soldiers (like the NVGs), used mainly for aiming weapons.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier's view of battlescape?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:04 pm »
About "HUD", yes, you are right. I think it come from the quake engine (or any fps). When we load the map, the overlay on the map (cause we are in first person point of view) was called HUD, and we reuse that name, but it mean nothing now.
Recently, Ubuntu reuse that "HUD" name... it made me laugh a lot.

Offline dp

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:02:19 am »
When we load the map, the overlay on the map (cause we are in first person point of view)
I can't find a command that gives me a first-person view -- that was my main topic. I seem to remember it was possible to see the scene from each soldier's first-person perspective, at some time in the past.

The only view I find now is third-person (or "God's-eye") view, which I can pan, rotate, and zoom to view the soldiers, battlespace, etc.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:12:42 am »
There is no first person view now in game.

Offline dp

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 05:37:13 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.

It was a nice feature but not essential, and I can imagine how it added many possibilities for bugs.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 03:47:28 am »
Yes, the bugs were the reason to remove this feature. Second reason (or may be even the first one) was map optimization. There are different methods to optimize map for FP Sign and Up-down sign. We need to remove different planes in each case, and if we optimize the game as TBS, the map in FPS-mode will look ugly (missed planes, all ceilings and so on).

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 07:21:50 pm »
Even having an option to activate fields of view showing the area the soldiers can see would be nice.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:45:57 pm »
Would be awesome if you can make it.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 08:35:56 pm »
Even having an option to activate fields of view showing the area the soldiers can see would be nice.

+1