project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Mortars  (Read 26775 times)

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Mortars
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2012, 05:36:51 pm »
It might've been an airburst in 3 (doubtful) but in 4, it has to hit something, I think.
An actual airburst would be awesome, though.
Maybe have it as 'airburst' and 'impact'?

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2012, 05:44:01 pm »
airburst and impact would give no ability to bounce :/

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2012, 07:28:15 pm »
What's this airburst mode you're all talking about, was there one in 2.4? I think there was airburst mode in 2.3? Ufopedia still mentions airburst though.
The mode that is now called "impact" was formerly called "airburst", and (apparently) the behaviour is unchanged.

Jumping back to something I'd missed before:
[…]Airbust/Impact fire mode […] will detonate upon reaching target, even if it hasn't hit anything.
It doesn't actually do this. You can confirm by elevating the target point—the grenade will detonate before reaching the ground (typically, depending on topography), but will consistently overshoot the target point before doing so.

That's kind of sad. I liked having the three-round burst available for engaging small groups. It means there's no way to deal with large groups other than wasting time by firing multiple individuals, or trying to throw hand grenades.
Although the three-round burst does both deal more total damage and vary the impact point, I don't think the change makes such a huge difference for crowd control—more significant is the reduction in splash radius from 4 for incendiary/HE and 5 for plasma to 3 for all.

~J

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2012, 11:45:28 am »
That's an even worse change.

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 01:22:53 pm »
But now it actually kills things when it hits them! And also has more range than a slingshot…

~J

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 03:38:22 pm »
But now it actually kills things when it hits them! And also has more range than a slingshot…

~J

Speaking of that, how much range is it supposed to have? I'm asking because I'm seeing the aim point indicator remain a crosshair symbol to long distances, but when I try to fire, it says "out of range". Indicator becomes an X only at very long distances, like 50% further than I can actually shoot. Is this normal behaviour atm?

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2012, 08:50:44 pm »
I get broadly the same result, though it seems like the details of how far apart the red line/X and the last target point at which the GL will actually fire depend on something—terrain, perhaps? Elevating the target point in particular seems to make the gap larger.

~J

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2012, 09:42:41 pm »
I've noticed this discrepancy between visible range and actual range. I'm not sure how to fix it but will continue to bring it up. A lot of the battlescape requires complex math and solutions are not always that easy to find.

Nokim

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 10:06:12 pm »
I've noticed this discrepancy between visible range and actual range. I'm not sure how to fix it but will continue to bring it up. A lot of the battlescape requires complex math and solutions are not always that easy to find.
Isn't that difference related to different ammo for GL? Like wider range for HIT grenade compared to PB grenade. I thought that there is different ranges but visible range calculation done only for first type.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 10:40:05 pm »
Isn't that difference related to different ammo for GL? Like wider range for HIT grenade compared to PB grenade. I thought that there is different ranges but visible range calculation done only for first type.

I'm getting this when using HIT grenades.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2012, 08:49:12 pm »
CL_TargetingGrenade() is using velocity instead of distance to check the range, the attached patch should fix it.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:13 pm »
Yay! I hope someone can get this into master soon.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2012, 09:13:57 pm »
CL_TargetingGrenade() is using velocity instead of distance to check the range, the attached patch should fix it.

great! now, all I need is to find out what do I do to apply that patch? =)

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2012, 09:25:27 pm »
If you are using git:
Code: [Select]
git am path/to/patch.patch

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile