project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Mortars  (Read 26619 times)

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Mortars
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 11:27:57 pm »
Alternative: Mortar UGV? Basically gives us a nice self-propelled artillery piece to play with.

+1!!!!

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 11:51:19 pm »
A morter equipped UGV is an interesting Idea, it would certainly restrict the number deployed, though I tend to think UGVs as more spearhead units than back line support, but in it's advantage it would open up the opportunity for cluster fire modes.

It would have more ammo capacity than a grunt with three buddies. Though it couldn't last as long in a fight, though.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 12:56:20 am »
You can use grenades/GL to take high trajectory, just needs a little experience with it. Use shift to aim at actual level your view is at, not the floor under cursor. You can do a nice high lobs right into alien's face.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 04:21:59 am »
It all can be nice and cool, but:
1. It is not a war, so we have civilians shouldn`t be killed (and mortars, like other cover weapon can easy kill them).
2. We do not support destructible enviroment, so Big F** Gun that can not destroy thick wall looks a bit foolish.
3. It`s really hard to balance such overpowered weapons.

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 06:19:12 am »
A lot of games like this really lack for indirect fire weapons. Mostly your options are grenade launchers, and hand thrown grenades.

I had a situation the other day on one of the Mediterranean maps, where I had a Civilian duck through the only passable hole in the wall, and the last alien on the map pop up behind him. Unfortunately, it was sufficiently early that I didn't even have my first bolter, so I had no way to penetrate the wall. And the grenade launcher doesn't have the high angle it needs to drop behind an obstacle. I finally managed to finish it off with a grenade toss up and over the wall, after getting shot because that was the only place I could throw safely to have it land behind the alien and kill it and not the civilian.

Balance is an issue, but it always is. Consider the Rocket Launcher. It's very useful, and capable of instant killing targets. However, it has to be reloaded after each shot, and it's got a huge explosion radius so it's not a weapon for shooting close to friendlies. The Grenade Launcher is similar, but the arc of the shot makes it useful for entirely different tasks.

I've never been a big fan of destructible environments. It's cool and all, but it ends up making extra work for the designers, without adding a huge amount. Besides, that's not what mortars do. Mortars provide immediate ordinance to individual units. 6 soldiers are dangerous, 6 soldiers and a mortar are VERY dangerous.

I'm not sure what role they have in mind for UGV's. It's an interesting idea, but it was a good one in X-Com and they seemed to blow up rather a lot. That said, a mortar UGV is not at all far fetched.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 10:24:12 am »
There is already a mortar proposal in our wiki, along with about a hundred other weapon proposals.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 11:35:01 am »
Looking at that list, it seems we do have a few models for some of that stuff.

HM..I think I have a normal minigun model stashed away somewhere.

Also, microwave and sonic weapons? Yes please.
A miniaturized pain ray would be a devious weapon.

And sounds cna be used to confuse as well as hurt. I saw some new technology where sound is projected via microwaves. You can make sound come out from anywhere and bounce it off walls. Great for confusing the hell out of the enemy.

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 12:51:37 pm »
Also, microwave and sonic weapons? Yes please.

Not to sure about microwaves given the social and political setting of UFO:AI but the sonic disorientation/stun device is interesting.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 02:24:51 pm »
I don't think anyone will be worrying about alien rights..Especially given that they are mindelss husks anyway.

Cook em boys!

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 02:37:31 pm »
I'll be totally honest, I looked, but the Wiki is pretty hard to find anything on.

I'm glad to see it's there though.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 03:06:45 pm »
I'll be totally honest, I looked, but the Wiki is pretty hard to find anything on.

I'm glad to see it's there though.

How to find something in the www. :)

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 04:12:56 pm »
I don't think anyone will be worrying about alien rights..Especially given that they are mindelss husks anyway.

Cook em boys!
Taman medium or better a Ortnok rare?

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 04:57:37 pm »
Well done Sheevar, please.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 09:16:02 am »
an idea (probably not entirely new):

divide grenade launcher's role into "assault" and mortar-like "support" roles with different ammo; support rounds with high tu cost, long range/large blast radius, small capacity per magazine, assault rounds less powerful but faster to fire.

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 09:51:29 am »
the existing launcher as the assault and perhaps a breach loader similar to an M79 for the support version?

Either way I could go with that idea