project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien Tank designs ideas and proposals  (Read 33373 times)

Offline Sims

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Tank designs ideas and proposals
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2013, 08:30:37 pm »
Hi,

thank you for reply. Yes the picture is a "test" one. I made different part textures and did not scale them right. I try to make it metalic. I post some Pictures when i am done with the basic structure texturing.

Offline Isen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2013, 02:46:45 pm »
Hi
I didn't want to make another thread about Alien Tank, so i post in here.
I also made a tank concept. There are opinions that it could also be player-controlled UGV. I think it fits better as an Alien Tank, but I want to know your opinion.
It's not yet textured and needs more polishing but it shows a general idea.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2013, 06:20:25 pm »
Wasn´t there the weapon mounted rotable on top in earlier pics? The way it is now it can only fire in moving direction, which is kinda regression compared to tanks from WWII, not to speak of modern ones.

Without the weapon I could imagine it beeing an unarmed human scout drone. It seems to move through the air, and as aliens already have the Hovernet, I would like to have the alien tank different from that.

Of course, the model looks great and will serve well in whatever role.  ;)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2013, 06:29:42 pm »
Wasn´t there the weapon mounted rotable on top in earlier pics? The way it is now it can only fire in moving direction, which is kinda regression compared to tanks from WWII, not to speak of modern ones.

Well, it does avoid the problem that we can't actually support rotating weapon mounts at the moment, and it's not a trivial task to add that.

Without the weapon I could imagine it beeing an unarmed human scout drone. It seems to move through the air, and as aliens already have the Hovernet, I would like to have the alien tank different from that.

My understanding was that the edges were small treads and that it would be able to roll around on the ground in addition to hovering.

Offline Sims

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2013, 08:10:34 pm »
I like the concept. I see it also as a human scout drone. And armored drone. Very cool model.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:15:42 pm by Sims »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2013, 08:22:17 pm »
i also like the concept. about the head mounted weapon: it should not be included in the body anyway - it should have a tag where the weapon should get mounted and if we support rotating weapons one day, it can easily be added to the model.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2013, 10:03:25 pm »
My only problem with the model that is isn't like our aliens' technology... It is very different...

-geever

Offline Isen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2013, 09:26:29 am »
That is true geever. I was trying to make something different a new unique shape, that wouldn't look like ordinary tank.
Just as H-Hour wrote, I removed rotable mounted weapon because game doesn't support rotating weapon yet. Ofcourse it is not a problem to add a socket on top for future weapon change.
If this tank would be used as a human UGV it would require a little hull change. I could make a different hull for each weapon (RPG, chaingun, laser, plasma,  etc.)

Offline Unisol

• Rookie
  • There's only one way to deal with delicious pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2013, 01:15:17 pm »
I agree with Sims - that would look great as a human scout drone. Quadrocopters already exist, and by 2084 they will only get better. Give it 40 AP, paper-thin armor, no weapons of any kind, robotic equivalent of IR goggles and price of about 5000 and you have efficient, cheap and plausible robo-scout.

Does the engine allow flying units? Like, could this copter fly in a cell directly above soldier?

Offline TallTroll

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2013, 10:34:09 pm »
Considering that the aliens are an amalgamation of several races, their equipment doesn't all have to have the same aesthetics. PHALANX explicitly uses equipment from several sources, so I don't see why the aliens shouldn't. The alien tank should probably start with flight capability, whereas humans have to upgrade to it, assuming flight ability is still planned.

Incidentally, if scout UGVs are going to be added, would it be possible to make them troop carried equipment? Current tech quadricopters are entirely small enough to be carried in a backpack, and still be useful. Is it possible to spawn an actor during a mission?