project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: beginner questions  (Read 9922 times)

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
beginner questions
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:19:21 am »
Hi,

just getting started with uforadiant, some questions.

I'm following the mapping for dummies tut, but I'm not seeing any textures on the textures tab. If I open an existing map, textures used there will appear on the tab; have I misplaced some files, what do I need and where?

When I start out a new map and choose file -> save, a file is not created. I saw an earlier thread mentioning that a map needs to have some minimum number of objects (brushes?) in it to be saved, is this correct?

edit - figured out the saving problem, by default I don't have write access in usr/share/... folders (where ufoai and radiant are installed by default) so a file is not created. There is no notification of failed save attempt in uforadiant though.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:24:48 am by kurja »

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:42:42 am »
> I'm following the mapping for dummies tut, but I'm not seeing any textures on the textures tab. If I open an existing map, textures used there will appear on the tab; have I misplaced some files, what do I need and where?
There are button on top the texture tab with directory selector.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:49:39 am »
Sorry, I don't see it?

screenshot right after launching uforadiant

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:55:38 am »
under "surfaces", there's this though.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 11:00:52 am »
There should be a <directory> right under the 'textures' tab, which is missing in your screenshot.

How did you install, from what source?

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 11:05:21 am »
installed from getdeb repositories, version 1.6.0 Apr 24 2012

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 11:16:41 am »
non-Win, I will need to call for help.  :-[

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 11:18:03 am »
hmm, did you enter the correct path in UFORadiant preferences ?

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 11:20:54 am »
If you do not have the source with decompressed files and folders you probably need to decompress the .pk3s in your ufoai installation dir, subdir /base.
To have write rights for those folders I would decompress the pk3s into some subdir below your home dir or ~.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 11:30:03 am »
radiant->edit->preferences->path is set to /usr/share/games/ufoai/ (tutorial instructs to set the path to where ufo.exe is, but obviously that file is not present, I'm assuming this is the correct directory in linux)

Are the .map files the uncompressed files we're talking about here? I have the .map files in ...ufoai/base/maps/, but I tried moving them around to .../base/ and to .../ufoai/, without noticeable effect.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 11:40:52 am »
you have to decompress the .pk3 files then
those are ordinary .zip files
but I would recommend you do that somewhere below your home directory and point uforadiant there, because of write rights

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 11:56:24 am »
according to tutorial,
    /base/0pics.pk3 (becomes /base/textures/)

This is where the textures are stored. In order to use existing textures in your maps, you don't need to unpack this. UFORadiant will read them in the pk3 files.

I "unzipped" them though, but to no effect. btw is 0pics.pk3 really supposed to become /base/textures/? not ../pics/?

If I set path in uforadiant to another location (where I've copied the .map files and .pk3 files are) it gives me an error "could not load ufos/entities.ufo"

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 12:34:19 pm »
according to tutorial,
I "unzipped" them though, but to no effect. btw is 0pics.pk3 really supposed to become /base/textures/? not ../pics/?

If I set path in uforadiant to another location (where I've copied the .map files and .pk3 files are) it gives me an error "could not load ufos/entities.ufo"

No, 0pics is supposed to become a /base/pics directory. Can you open the archive without unzipping?

The "could not load ufos..." error simply means that you must unzip everything.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 12:46:18 pm »
according to tutorial,

1. No, it should become the base/pics folder ofc. That is a typo then which should be fixed (it is a wiki).
2. Please make sure you decompressed all pk3 files to base/ in your new subdirectory, so it contains ~/yournewdiryoupointradiantto/base/ufos and all the other decompressed pk3s (pics, textures, maps)

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 04:20:33 pm »
I apparently need a [mydirectory]/base/ directory, and I can have the 0ufos.pk3 file in it uncompressed and not get an error message about the missing file.

So I uncompressed everything under ...[mydirectory]/base/, got subfolders such as ...[mydirectory]/base/textures/, pictures, ufos et cetera, no error messages when starting uforadiant but I'm still not seeing the textures.