project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFO: AI 2.4/2.5 Lets Plays  (Read 24476 times)

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
Re: UFO: AI 2.4/2.5 Lets Plays
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 11:06:06 pm »
Haha yeah, that 40 seconds made me so loool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ZZx8uaeCA&feature=player_detailpage&list=UU8faBDbZCNP5QpNUyHPcCHg#t=78s

Oh god, i cant stop laughing - he's great. xD
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:19:49 pm by Crystan »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 09:16:28 am »
hehe - really cool. the game can be really funny it looks ;)

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Someone made a 2.5 Lets Play
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 11:48:24 pm »
From those who complain about his playstyle... Are there videos of those, who can show "how to play" this game?
i have also been waiting for some how to play videos, but it seems i have just became a considerably more patient person in the process.

first time playing is what let's play means, so i am not complaining about the players being newbies.

but i would rather watch someone who knows what he is doing.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2012, 11:42:04 am »
I hope to make a few videos for the release of 2.5, with some tips for old players regarding the vast changes and a nod to some basic gameplay strategies. But given all the other tasks hanging around, I won't be surprised if this doesn't happen. If it does, we'll make a ufoai-team YouTube account and post them from there.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 06:02:08 pm »
I hope to make a few videos for the release of 2.5, with some tips for old players regarding the vast changes and a nod to some basic gameplay strategies. But given all the other tasks hanging around, I won't be surprised if this doesn't happen.[...]
for more than five years i have been waiting for a reasonable ufo:ai gameplay video on youtube, killing time with other things to keep myself sane, and even if i wait more it probably will not happen ;)

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 04:13:19 pm »
*Necroposting*
I've found a 18 part long Lets Play of 2.4 on youtube, found it worth to be mentioned here in the forums:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9o2zd_JMsg&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLTj9a3pCbtjWiR183tme8ysGWmC4l5qCq

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 04:45:32 pm »
Interesting, but it makes obvious that UI is sometimes non-understandable. For example, he does not know that he can cycle through visible aliens. Or using right-click when equipping soldiers.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2013, 10:43:50 am »
There's a good text-based LP going on here, for those that enjoy this sort of thing.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 01:05:15 pm »
There's a good text-based LP going on here, for those that enjoy this sort of thing.

Thanks for the recognition - there is a long tradition of X-Com worship amongst the Dwarf Fortress community, with there seemingly always at least one lets play of one version or another of it going on. There are 3 at the moment (one of TFTD, one of the new one, and one of Xenonauts), and I thought that I would expose the rest of Bay12 to your work. People are responding very positivley so far, so expect a few more players coming your way.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 01:25:55 pm »
Thats great to hear. :) But i've been wondering why the resolution of the geosphere is so low in your screenshots while other textures are in a better quality?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2013, 01:33:03 pm »
Ahh, I did not immediately connect the forums to Dwarf Fortress. I was thinking, "this guy is finding clever solutions to tactical problems". Makes sense now. :)

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2013, 04:56:39 pm »
Thats great to hear. :) But i've been wondering why the resolution of the geosphere is so low in your screenshots while other textures are in a better quality?

No idea, sorry! I have set the format to .png for all screenshots and am playing on a 1400*900 display with imgur for image hosting. Thing look a lot better ingame than in the geoscape screenshots. TBH its not that much a of a problem, the combat is where most of the fun comes from, and those images look fine. Also, the updates on the bay12 forums are getting kinda big now and lower quality images are helping keeping the thread load in a sensible time for most people.

Ahh, I did not immediately connect the forums to Dwarf Fortress. I was thinking, "this guy is finding clever solutions to tactical problems". Makes sense now. :)

Heh, thanks for the flattery! Whilst I am failry new to UFO:AI I have been playing x-com and its variants for years and like to think I have learnt a thing or two. It doenst help that as (you correctly assume) most Bay12/DF players are game sadists, and they seem to offer me challenging characters to use.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:20:12 pm by MonkeyHead »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2013, 11:01:53 pm »
Regarding the quality of screenshots. Perhaps the jpeg quality is set very low. IN your options, you should see an option for screenshot type. If you switch that to PNG you should get some better quality shots. You may need to convert to jpeg before posting to the forums, though.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2013, 11:13:03 pm »
I didnt meant the quality of the screenshots, i meant the quality of the actual earth texture. Its really low res while other textures in the battlescape are in a higher quality.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2013, 10:29:01 am »
I didnt meant the quality of the screenshots, i meant the quality of the actual earth texture. Its really low res while other textures in the battlescape are in a higher quality.

I have no idea why that might be. I do have the screen stretched 4:3 to avoid lots of black sidebars. I have the texture resolution set to "normal" as my not-so-great laptop copes well with all other graphical features on at that texture but struggles with the weather if set higher. I shall try setting the texture resolution to high and turning weather effects off.