project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Strange idea...  (Read 2793 times)

Offline iamaloner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Strange idea...
« on: May 11, 2012, 03:45:13 pm »
Guys... I have an idea... Current maps are blocky as hell... I got probavly a simple solution involved graphics but afraid that... Well... that maps will crash or not possible to make...

So what if the map was actualy like sets of 3D models? Then there would be nicer looks atleast and that... But that they are like phantoms and you can go trought them so thats not right... But If we make 3D models that we can go trought them with other 3d models we could make invisible real map in map editor and 3D models(MD3) would only be like nice skin while the inside would be a map that is totaly transparent...

Sorry for my bad knowlegde of english... :/

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Strange idea...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 04:35:55 pm »
I have only been on the sceen as a active person for a few days but Blender and possibly other modelling programs support export to quakes map format, though admittedly I dont know how compatible they are with UFOAI

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:03:47 pm »
Blender's exporter does not produce a file that is really workable with our game. It creates a large number of overlapping and extra brushes.

You don't need 3D models to create less blocky shapes, you just need time and patience to build with more detailed brushwork.

Offline iamaloner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 05:40:51 pm »
Well that would hit the performance... I mean there would be alot of polygons that we probavly couldt see, mostly... Atleast if we use something like that we would save polygons and that... Probavly better performance... But this kind of map mapping, brushworking, well if it supported like deformations and that it would be nice but its quake engine... Id tech 2/3 correctly...

If you have skills make something like that...

I used tried to work with hammer editor ... Well I lost contact with a person that gave me lessons so i quited... I wanted to make good RP map for Half Life 2 Deathmatch...

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 06:15:59 pm »
All faces not seen can be flagged as nodraw to reduce performance strain -- something we can't do with models.

If you've got experience with Hammer, transitioning to UFORadiant should not be as difficult as it would be to transfer from a proper modelling software (3DSM/Blender). Ship1t has just done a bit update on our starter tutorial!

Offline iamaloner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 06:38:03 pm »
Ok...