project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Hyperion Class Armed Dropship  (Read 24771 times)

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperion Class Armed Dropship
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 09:22:09 am »
I like the idea for the wings/engines suggestion will probably give the ship a more aggressive look.

On the transparency I think I mentioned it was used just for rendering show off, mostly to show the pilots in position but also it looks cool with only a few seconds work, for the final release. 

I was thinking about including part or all of the canopy in the roof cutaway so might do a basic cockpit interior anyway for that.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 01:40:07 pm »
If you need help with that, feel free to attach an MD2 or OBJ and some of us more experienced with the maps can try it out.

:P

From looking at the last pic (hyperion next to the firebird) I would think the size is fine.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 05:52:55 pm »
From looking at the last pic (hyperion next to the firebird) I would think the size is fine.

Different 3D programs often import to different scales and then don't necessarily export the same way. The scale will still need to be checked in-game, especially to test how the interior (soldier cabin) lines up to the map grid. We will need to make sure it fits 2x2 grids and not too much extra space on either side so the player is not confused.

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 06:00:35 pm »
:P

Currently though the hyperion is a tad longer it is about twice the width with the wings, but then they could be justified in the additional role as a combat craft so would need the extra control surface, the main body is similar in width to the Firebird's, it's just going to take up more landing space in the mission maps so something to think about.

also progress

ironed out most of the geometry in the first half of the craft, the nose has changed shape slightly as a result but i dont think it's lost the general spirit.  this will probably be the last human eye view of the craft as I am now focusing on the top and aft half geometry which cant be seen too well from the ground

Less dramatic but I think shows the current scale nicely and just how horrible the back half of this thing is and as this will be the most common view of the craft it needs fixing. 

For reference the red light is where the troop bay doors are

Different 3D programs often import to different scales and then don't necessarily export the same way. The scale will still need to be checked in-game, especially to test how the interior (soldier cabin) lines up to the map grid. We will need to make sure it fits 2x2 grids and not too much extra space on either side so the player is not confused.

indeed, I have tried to keep the Hyperion relative to the Firebird model so hopefully when the model is scaled to fit the troop bay to a 2x2 size in game the Hyperion will take up the same amount of space as indicated above

if you want a height comparison

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 06:37:30 pm »
... Currently though the hyperion is a tad longer it is about twice the width with the wings ...

This would result in the same size as the actual raptor dropship model, smaller than the herakles lifter. I think this would be fine.

Of course, as H-Hour said, we will need testing.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 06:51:22 pm »
Shouldn't it be fine as long as it fits inside the hangar?

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 07:02:42 pm »
That is a good point Nutter.

If it doesn't fit I could do a folded wing version like you see on aircraft carriers to be used in base defence missions so long as the game will support it.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 07:59:36 pm »
Shouldn't it be fine as long as it fits inside the hangar?

Actually more than one of the existing Phalanx aircraft would not fit into the hangar map.  :-[

The Firebird model does, but its wings always scratch the hangar walls when landing. The Herakles has nearly 3 times the width of the Firebird.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 08:08:07 pm »
Note that dropships will get a 2x2 hangar building once Larger Bases is implemented.

-geever

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 08:32:33 pm »
interesting, the multi level proposal looks good, and the Hyperion requiring a 2x2 hanger would be something for the player to consider as with the same space you could house a Firebird and a Saracen, though maintain the two would probably cost more.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 09:15:23 pm »
Heres what I have ATM...results of soem of my experimentation:

I invision something liek a very moderns osprey:
http://www.military-today.com/helicopters/bellboeing_v_22_osprey_l2.jpg
or hte VTOL from Crysis (with doos on the sides)
http://images.wikia.com/halofanon/images/b/b7/US_VTOL.jpg

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 09:46:32 pm »
Just by the way, something's been nagging me for a while: It just me or are the wings really spindly?
I keep feeling like a proper sneeze in their general direction would rip them off.

Now I got that off my mind:
If it doesn't fit I could do a folded wing version like you see on aircraft carriers to be used in base defence missions so long as the game will support it.

If you let the troops climb on top of the thing, the folding wings could also be used as impromptu cover during hot landings.
It's something that occurred to me while my troops were getting incinerated all around their dropship by a few well spawned Tamans(Most of them, anyway) a level above.

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 10:03:32 pm »
Just by the way, something's been nagging me for a while: It just me or are the wings really spindly?
I keep feeling like a proper sneeze in their general direction would rip them off.

compared to the Firebird the wings on this are similar thickness in relation to overall height.

Now I got that off my mind:
If you let the troops climb on top of the thing, the folding wings could also be used as impromptu cover during hot landings.
It's something that occurred to me while my troops were getting incinerated all around their dropship by a few well spawned Tamans(Most of them, anyway) a level above.

One of the things H-Hour commented about was that with the wings like they are disembarking troops could use them for cover from elevated fire.

The folding wings concept was an idea to take into account that it might not fit inside a large hanger for base missions, I might still do a folded version as a stopgap until the base code can be altered.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 06:37:22 am »
The folding wings concept was an idea to take into account that it might not fit inside a large hanger for base missions, I might still do a folded version as a stopgap until the base code can be altered.

The dropships and interceptors lift off when a base is attacked, they are not shown in the mission. Not sure if it is intented to change this.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 11:02:54 am »
The dropships and interceptors lift off when a base is attacked, they are not shown in the mission. Not sure if it is intented to change this.

Dropships and Interceptors could be lift off if it was implemented and selected by the player - which is not the case.

-geever