project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Hyperion Class Armed Dropship  (Read 25100 times)

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperion Class Armed Dropship
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 12:30:19 pm »
Quick Update

I have the vast majority of the geometry sorted and chopped up the wings so I can do a folded wing version that is more likely to fit a large hanger for base defence missions if that is feasible, not only that but they don't foul up the deployment doors! :D

Next step I think is to plan where I am going to chop the craft up for the roof section.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 02:19:46 pm »
compared to the Firebird the wings on this are similar thickness in relation to overall height.

I was referring to the roots, actually.
And from what I understand, the Firebird doesn't rely on the wings as much as the Hyperion might.
Though, come to think of it, both of them probably are dropships first anyway so it might not matter.

Offline kOba

• Project Artist
  • Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 04:53:09 pm »
Hello, do not take this the wrong way, but I think you should change the model!
I do not want to penalize your skills but it is ugly, stumps heterogeneous elements, nose, fuselage, cockpit, are different in structure, you should use the same type of structure for each element (eg, insert a polygon ovoid of a polygon is Platonic good but not a polygon with a Platonic cuboid).

is your first job with the 3D true?

But if you do not, you could start by eliminating the curved line under the nose of the pilot;
Reshape their wings in a triangular shape and attach the short side and reduce them drastically.

About you based on the model of corrupting it?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 07:08:20 pm »
I have no knowledge about 3d modelling, so I cannot judge about the technical aspects. But the style I still like much more than the alternate model.

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 08:57:50 pm »
kOba, I am struggling to understand your post, are you saying that I am basing different points of the ship on differing base shapes then you should know that this is all created out of a cube and nothing else.

As for the overall shape, this is a model I had created originally for my own purposes and when H-Hour expressed an interest in seeing it used for the Hyperion, (hence my opening to this thread,) I started fixing the geometry and adapting it to fit the needs of the project, and while it is getting close to being ready for texturing there is still work to be done adapting and fixing it up. 

As for the nose
Sweet, that was my favorite. I really like the unique nose on it.

And while it could use a little more work smoothing out the curvature which i want to have another stab at before I'm done, I am also trying to keep the polly count sane for in game use.

Offline kOba

• Project Artist
  • Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 11:35:04 pm »
Do one thing at the moment you stop working on this model, another model starts from scratch. You'll see that in the absence of errors the old model will be substantially better.

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 02:44:30 pm »
might be a good idea. 

with that in mind I have attached the blender to date along with an OBJ export to be safe

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 07:58:22 am »
Any progress on this, headdie?

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 09:57:00 am »
Started poking again at it last night, adding a thruster vent at the rear that will probably only show on the texture on the final model and still straitening out some of the kinks in the mesh.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 11:47:39 am »
Cool!

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 01:56:11 pm »
I should also add that our model format doesn't support transparency in the model, so the cockpit can't have proper windows.

Actually, transparency for models is supported via hack: if texture got an alpha channel and it's not all 255's, model is rendered with alpha blending enabled. That's how vegetation models are rendered, for example.
On the other hand, any non-convex shape can (and probably will) have depth-sorting problems. Remember that pine rendered with a trunk in front of branches?

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 02:12:02 pm »
Very interesting, sounds like it might be worth doing versions of the texture to see how it works out

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 02:31:40 pm »
Note that you can place all transparent parts into separate model to avoid sorting problems for the non-transparent ones.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 06:04:34 pm »
Any progress on getting this thing textured and working in-game?

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 06:14:19 pm »
Sorry RL and a computer reinstall has slowed me down, I have done the UV for most of the craft, hopefully in the next few days I will have the UV finished so texturing can start in ernest