project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 5028 times)

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Hi
« on: May 08, 2012, 04:08:19 pm »
Thought I would introduce myself a little as I have just signed up.

I have downloaded UFO:AI from time to time and have enjoyed playing it greatly so respect to everyone who has been involved, but never really bothered with the forums.

A little while ago TrashMan posted to the Hardlight Productions forum that the project could possibly benefit from input from more people, especially as there are a number of X-Com fans amongst us and a good number of ppl with skills in many of the game development related disciplines.  Personally I am a amateur (emphasis on that) modeller and not to bad at understanding text based table files (in the FreeSpace open engine anyway).

So that just leaves me to say Hi All!

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 04:27:43 pm »
Hi headdie, welcome to the forums. Can you animate? Currently that's a big bottleneck for us in adding new aliens/civilian models, we could still use help with lots of things. If you have some shots of work you've done, I might be able to suggest ways you can contribute with models.

Feel free to hop on our IRC channel: irc://irc.freenode.org/ufoai

It's a good place to catch developers and discuss ideas.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 04:41:11 pm »
Hi headdie.

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:59:24 pm »
I have posted a few bits on Deviant art http://headdie.deviantart.com/gallery/ , my tool of choice being Blender 2.49

I generally model mechanical objects, starships mostly to date but other machines have been interesting challenges including weapons and robots.  as for animation, I have not tried it before, if someone can point to a good blender tutorial (Preferably 2.49 as though I have 2.62 I have hardly used it as the Collada scripts are useless for FreeSpace Open work.) then I would be interested in giving it a go

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »
Hell yeah, i love the people of Hardlight Productions for making my fav. space sim looks awesome!

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 06:18:25 pm »
Cool stuff. Some of your ships look like they might work as our Hyperion-class Armed Dropship. It's a mixed dropship/fighter we plan to include but lack a model. It wouldn't require any animation, just a texture as well as some changes to the model to create an "interior". I'm thinknig the Pitbull or Tornado crafts in your deviartart gallery look like possible matches.

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:35:12 pm »
Hell yeah, i love the people of Hardlight Productions for making my fav. space sim looks awesome!

Yer, I had FS1 when it was new and shiny and grabbed 2 about 2001ish, Its awesome what the guys there have pulled off both visually and code wise.

Cool stuff. Some of your ships look like they might work as our Hyperion-class Armed Dropship. It's a mixed dropship/fighter we plan to include but lack a model. It wouldn't require any animation, just a texture as well as some changes to the model to create an "interior". I'm thinknig the Pitbull or Tornado crafts in your deviartart gallery look like possible matches.

Cool, which ones catch your eye for that, I certainly don't mind rebuilding something for the project's needs

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 10:32:33 pm »
Cool, which ones catch your eye for that, I certainly don't mind rebuilding something for the project's needs

"I'm thinknig the Pitbull or Tornado crafts in your deviartart gallery look like possible matches." But if you've got another idea, go for it. Key is that it should be able to be a fighter jet that can store 5 or so soldiers as well. Oh, and it should if possible have vertical take off and landing.

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:48:14 am »
"I'm thinknig the Pitbull or Tornado crafts in your deviartart gallery look like possible matches." But if you've got another idea, go for it. Key is that it should be able to be a fighter jet that can store 5 or so soldiers as well. Oh, and it should if possible have vertical take off and landing.

The Pitbull might have licensing issues as the concept art is not mine and was created for another person, the use of the Pitbull on DA was per the concept artist's permission.

The Tornado on the other hand is all mine and fair game, to that end I have created http://ufoai.org/forum/index.php/topic,6632.0.html to discuss how best to use it and document the development.