project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Promotion of the game among no-nerds  (Read 17339 times)

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Promotion of the game among no-nerds
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 08:04:21 pm »
website about invasion of aliens on Earth with news, warnings and instructions :)

I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of such websites already ;)

Offline Majki-Fajki

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 08:12:03 pm »
I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of such websites already

I was talking about possible way of talking about game and promoting.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 08:45:14 pm »
oh, I totally didn't get that  ::)

It's not a bad idea at all.

Offline Majki-Fajki

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 09:06:31 pm »
Whole game has great storyline and atmosphere. PERFECT narration for promotion.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 09:45:59 pm »
Whole game has great storyline and atmosphere. PERFECT narration for promotion.
That was irony, iam right? :D

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 06:49:56 am »
actually no... I kinda like the storyline (yeah I know I dissed it not so long ago) now that it's unfolded more and I kinda get it.

I had no idea the plot would keep unfolding beyond my ability to wipe out the alien base (I guess I progressed too quickly?)

I really like the bit about engaging mind-controlled humans... but I just wish there had actually been a battle (assuming it hasn't been made yet) -- do you guys need help with the map / mission for that?

I agree with trashman (I think) that the idea of a virus is silly. While the ufopaedia reads that it is a large multicellular organism that replicates like a virus... this doesn't actually make sense. It just sounds cool.

Viruses replicate by hijacking host cells. And they do this by being really small and injecting their DNA into the host cell, resulting in the host cell making new viral components and assembling tons of new viruses, and then exploding. (well.. in layspeak. Virology 101)

If the alien cells are large and multicellular... how do the host cells make even 1 before lysing? much less hundreds of them? I'm guessing replicating like a bacterium (mitosis) would work just as well to overwhelm the host...

anyway back to the topic at hand -- yes it would be good to promote on sites where people are actively modding and have ability as well as quality. How good are the modding / mapping tools for UFO AI?

Offline Majki-Fajki

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012, 12:43:14 pm »
Person, who like making stuff in Photoshop may not be aware of fact, that certain kind of ppl make free video games. May not be aware, that they have skills to make skin for model or texture. They need information, that skills in photshop can be useful in video game. And they need to be explained that.

You can't make an assumption, that everyone is familiar with game developing process, vocabulary, and so on. That's why I have brought an example above, GNOME.
http://www.gnome.org/get-involved/

Moreover, remember, that popularity of project is a factor for modeler/animator/mapper/translator. If guy who can make cool things in Max sees that game has players database=30 ppl, he will skip it.

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 06:24:26 pm »
Just an idea, but PCGamer regularly has articles on it about older/smaller games and even open source at times.  I think UFO:AI is an excellent game and meets the criteria of a full fledged game that they might be interested in promoting to other gamers.  Don't sell gamers short.  There are plenty of eye-candy wannabee's out there, but old-school is alive and well.  The Kickstarter projects are starting to prove that.  People are getting tired of the same'ol shooter stuff from every developer out there.

Maybe a letter to them might open a door for larger exposure?

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 07:29:09 pm »
One more idea.  I regularly watch HappyPenguin.com (Linux game tome) and LinuxGames.com, but I haven't seen a recent posting of UFO:AI on either.  Two sites I think you should regularly update with info.  Might catch a few eyes there as well.

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 07:52:37 pm »
well perhaps we can help the admins here along -- do you know how they could go about submitting to the review sites? Perhaps if they're ok with it we could make the submissions. I appreciate how busy they are with the coding end of it.

Hows this for an idea? UFO AI could do with a "publicity" department -- a production team for a computer game isn't just the coders after all... it involves a team of people with different skillsets working together.

Perhaps the founders could select a team to form the PR side of things, and go about promoting it (rather than rely on brownian motion to allow info to diffuse laterally)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2012, 08:20:03 pm »
well perhaps we can help the admins here along -- do you know how they could go about submitting to the review sites? Perhaps if they're ok with it we could make the submissions. I appreciate how busy they are with the coding end of it.

Hows this for an idea? UFO AI could do with a "publicity" department -- a production team for a computer game isn't just the coders after all... it involves a team of people with different skillsets working together.

Perhaps the founders could select a team to form the PR side of things, and go about promoting it (rather than rely on brownian motion to allow info to diffuse laterally)

No special permission is needed. Please, go out and tell websites we exist. Thanks.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2012, 08:22:16 pm »
I'll ask AngryJoe to mention us. He's a cool guy and loves X-Com

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2012, 08:49:28 pm »
Might it be worth talking to the Wing Commander Saga team to see what they did to attract attention to the Darkest Dawn release which was subject to several written reviews and YouTube reviews including a preview play by Rurikhan which all helped drum up a lot of interest in the release

Offline Majki-Fajki

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012, 05:21:18 pm »
Check this
http://wolffoss.deviantart.com/art/Blue-print-walker-214390906

Wolfoss (and dozens of other artists from DA) should already have been spammed by you.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 09:36:02 am »
If you want to promote the game, write some emails demanding tests to your favorite blog-sites and add comments about this game to every video about the XCOM universe (including Firaxis ones)...

You could start here: http://ufoai.org/forum/index.php/topic,6647.msg52314.html#msg52314