project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Changing Game Language back and forth  (Read 1793 times)

Offline katsamu

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Changing Game Language back and forth
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:05:12 am »
Back in the Days of Ufo: Enemy Unknown and Ufo: Terror from the Deep, I used those games to improve my English.
Now I try to do the same with Ufo: Alien Invasion, and Chinese.

For this, I play in Chinese, which is possible with little language skills most of the time, however, once something strange occurs, I change to a better known language, to read the text.
The problem is that the game translates all the texts in menu, ufopaedia etc, but for the messages on the top side of the screen, only new ones get translated, old ones stay in the language in which they were received, which obstructs my 'playing style'.

I guess there are not many people with my problem (switching languages often), but I also guess it would not mean much coding to change the game to translate old messages as well?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Game Language back and forth
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:15 am »
We would like to have the translations fully switchable but it's not possible with gettext or the way we use it now.

The problem is with dynamic text which are assembled from parts. Once they're assembled it's not the same text anymore and the system cannot find the right translation for it. for example "Paid %i credits for %s" is translated, and %i and %s markers are substituted to a value and translation of soldier/scientist/whatever, then it is "Paid 11000 credits for soldiers" which has no translation, so we store the translated message in the list.

-geever