project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: A few quick questions  (Read 11492 times)

Offline Redtide

• Rookie
    • View Profile
A few quick questions
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:59:08 pm »
I've been playing UFO: AI off and on for the past several years and there's still a few details I've missed along development.

1) Is there anywhere I can check my relations with each nation group? Also, what's the hierarchy of their feelings? From what I can tell it goes Happy>Pleased>Content>Neutral>and then it goes into ambiguous dislike terms.

2) Is there anyway to tell when a flashbang actually affects a given alien? I'm taken to double flashing aliens if the first one isn't right next to them just to be sure.

3) If a soldier panics, is their equipped weapon supposed to disappear? I checked where I thought the weapon would have been dropped but it wasn't there and it was not in the panicked soldier's inventory.

4) Does a second base always start with a square being unusable or is that just random and I have terrible luck?

Offline aestend

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: A few quick questions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:58:34 pm »
A way to "game the system" with the unusable base tile, is make a save, then make base, check, reload. Rinse and repeat as much as you need to :D

Offline bazzietuk

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:48:55 pm »
Each base you set up for some reason has a random amount of unusable squares in it.  It's a pain the backside when you've got 4 of them in a new base your setting up as your limited on the kinds of structures you can place and have to wait for builds to finish before adding new ones near it.  Also a few of the structures like large hanger, workshop and laboratory require 2 squares to be built on which reduces the amount of buildings you can have even further.  So far haven't found any new buildings to research but I'm sure there will be at some point so it's hard to decide what to build where in case more double slot buildings come later on in the game.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:05:50 am »
3) If a soldier panics, is their equipped weapon supposed to disappear? I checked where I thought the weapon would have been dropped but it wasn't there and it was not in the panicked soldier's inventory.

This is a bug.

4) Does a second base always start with a square being unusable or is that just random and I have terrible luck?

Iirc a new base always starts with at least one unusable square.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:28:10 pm »
Iirc a new base always starts with at least one unusable square.

Who came up with that idea? D:

Offline Kardell

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:12:01 pm »
I do not know who came up with that idea, but I think the purpose is to make HQ base the best one.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:31:51 pm »
I do not know who came up with that idea, but I think the purpose is to make HQ base the best one.

I think it was intended to prevent the dominance of a single, optimal base layout. The player must always adjust his plans.

Offline Kardell

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 01:07:20 am »
Cool. This makes every base unique. :p
However by reloading the game I managed to get bases with only one unusable square.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 09:39:11 am »
Cool. This makes every base unique. :p
However by reloading the game I managed to get bases with only one unusable square.
Thats exactly what i do. Reload until i get the best result.

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 06:19:13 pm »
I think it was intended to prevent the dominance of a single, optimal base layout. The player must always adjust his plans.
If so, it seems like a solution in search of a problem—the game already punishes trying to conduct both research and production in the same base, making specialization obligatory (and thus requiring at least two layouts, probably three if you count the initial base where specialization is impractical without demolishing a bunch of stuff later). More to the point, at least in the game as it stands layout simply isn't very important—Large Hangers, Living Quarters, and the Command Center go clustered near the entrance to keep entry points and soldier spawn locations close, the power plant goes on the far side of the spawn points from the entry point (since it needs to be built quickly to activate the base), and antimatter goes on the other side of the map. Beyond that it's just a matter of ensuring space for the two-tile facilities and making sure you can build an advanced radar before scrapping your standard radar.

IMO, the possibility of more than one blocked square serves no role other than a source of irritation, and I wouldn't be too sad to see that last square go away, either.

A lot of the pain points I have with UFO:AI's design have to do with finding the line between creating potentially interesting obstacles (blocked squares, soldier death, bad-quality recruits, etc.) and simply encouraging savescumming. I think this issue is clearly on the savescumming side of that line, and apparently so do the previous two posters.

(This analysis may change if multilevel or otherwise larger bases become possible.)

~J
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:22:36 pm by Jon_dArc »