project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: plasma grenades  (Read 8326 times)

kaeau

plasma grenades
« on: October 11, 2006, 09:01:51 pm »
stop me if im wrong, but as far as i read in the wiki, plasma grenades are needed.
so, i did some first designs,
polycount:~200
note: not textured, just added some colors..
greenish area: plasma glow inside, something like that

pls note: pre version 01, so its just a preview, nothing more, nothing final-
ka
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaeau/267149526/

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
plasma grenades
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 09:18:45 pm »
looks already very good - works for me

[edit]
there are some really nice models in your flickr account - i love the chaingun - could you maybe edit it to become a dropship or interceptor weapon?

kaeau

plasma grenades
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:25:42 pm »
Quote from: "Mattn"

there are some really nice models in your flickr account - i love the chaingun - could you maybe edit it to become a dropship or interceptor weapon?

mattn, i wrote you a pm.
all this stuff i uploaded today for you to have a first look what is already modelled and textured.
see the sticky thread also (or just the sticky thread? anyway..)
ka

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
plasma grenades
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 10:01:58 pm »
The plasma grenade looks nice, but it's designed like a sci-fi gadget rather than a military weapon. The trigger (the button, I presume) is located in a place where any number of things could accidentally set the grenade off. It's also a very inconvenient place to reach and a non-standard place for grenade triggers to be. Soldiers would have to think about where to find the trigger before they could even start thinking about using it.

If you want to continue this model, I recommend putting the trigger mechanism on top, with some form of safety covering like all grenades have. Also a more easily-throwable shape might be better.

By the way, I love your shotgun model. If we could replace the one we have in-game with yours, I'd be all for it. It is generally nicer and has a much more high-tech look to it.

Regards,
Winter

kaeau

plasma grenades
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 10:04:14 pm »
ahm ,these grenades are designed having aliens in mind, not humans,
and, well, they are pre version 1 :) i neither have taken the pencil in hand and drawn some sketches.. well, but thanks for the input.

the trigger: imagine a hand, holding the grenade in the middle section, button in palm direction, and pressing the trigger by pressing the grenade-button into the palm with the fingers above. in that way, the "hand" (aliens) can be designed in any way, even with two fingers, or extreme, a tentacle, as long they can grab things in general.thats the general idea so far. pre version 1 as said:)

shotgun: im currently preparing everything i have already and sorting out stuff. you can have it . for sure.

ka

sirg

plasma grenades
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 06:51:12 pm »
The weapon models that you have are great. I also like the shotgun. It remins me of the H&K CAWS - see http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh18-e.htm and the Neostead shotgun http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh08-e.htm
The CAWS is or was an automatic shotgun, meaning it could fire (special) 12 gauge shells in a burst, like an assault rifle. I would like such a weapon in the game (a vintage 2084 model :P ), with several ammo types and/or upgradable/reseachable new ammo types.

I like the grenades - they look alien, as they should, and it's natural to look totally different than Earth made grenades! And it's OK to look SF, because, at the moment, invading aliens (including their weapons) are science fiction!

I would like the minigun in the game as a heavy weapon, but it won't be realistic. The recoil from the minigun is brutal and the required ammo must be carried by a truck. However, you could imagine a plasma minigun (as a hand carried weapon) which doesn't fire bullets, thus no recoil or heaps of ammo. Yeah, it would look great on a craft, but we won't be using it much.

inquisiteur2

plasma grenades
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 11:19:31 pm »
Minigun's recoil shouldn't be a problems for soldiers wearing exoskelleton. Remebers me warhammer 40k stuff.

Offline Czert

• Rookie
    • View Profile
plasma grenades
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 03:08:29 pm »
Quote from: "sirg"

I would like the minigun in the game as a heavy weapon, but it won't be realistic. The recoil from the minigun is brutal and the required ammo must be carried by a truck. However, you could imagine a plasma minigun (as a hand carried weapon) which doesn't fire bullets, thus no recoil or heaps of ammo. Yeah, it would look great on a craft, but we won't be using it much.

I disagree, miniguns are IRL used, with little problem - look at movies Terminator 2/Predator. Anf if we have magaizine who is BIG (as backpack) with cca 250 or 500 rounds, then I have no problem.
And if ammo/recoiul is tu much problem, them leave it static-deploayable like HMG (heavy machinegun).

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
plasma grenades
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 10:22:34 pm »
Quote from: "Czert"
miniguns are IRL used, with little problem - look at movies Terminator 2/Predator.

:D I like the way you're thinking :D

As far as I know, miniguns are non-portable weapons, but who cares? This is a sci-fi game right? You gotta have miniguns :D
I guess it could only be used by very strong soldiers and I could imagine it to have a ridiculous spread.

Is the "strength" attribute of a soldier limiting the weight of equipment they can carry or use at all?

Alex

plasma grenades
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:22:09 am »
not to mention futuristic alloys that are ultra-light and uber-strong making seemingly big and heavy weapons a lot lighter than they look :)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
plasma grenades
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 11:42:02 am »
No miniguns, NO miniguns, NO MINIGUNS!

Regards,
Winter

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
plasma grenades
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 12:13:45 pm »
*sniff*

So what's with the thing you got in multiplayer? That pretty much looks like a minigun to me.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
plasma grenades
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 12:19:38 pm »
Quote from: "Voller"
*sniff*

So what's with the thing you got in multiplayer? That pretty much looks like a minigun to me.

Yes, but that's multiplayer. Things that don't fit in with the single-player campaign (and/or reality) but would be a shame to waste tend to get put into the multiplayer section instead.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
plasma grenades
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 01:09:06 pm »
works for me :D