project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 3 Things to Change Back... (v2.4 suggestion)  (Read 14403 times)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Things to Change Back... (v2.4 suggestion)
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 04:24:03 pm »
atm I am putting my time into the Hyperion  :P

Its really great to see the progress in that. But there should always be enough time to place a pic if there is need to. ;)

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 04:32:06 pm »

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 04:35:31 pm »
On the other hand it needs an element of balance to stop abuse
Does it, though? The geoscape game simply isn't very deep, so aside from the occasional player with odd taste it seems like if you don't want to play the tactical missions you're probably pretty close to just switching to Tetris or something anyway. Especially as it stands, where there are long stretches where all techs are researched, the aliens aren't throwing anything new at you, and there's just mission after mission after mission, allowing pretty much free use of automissions provides a solution for those people who aren't motivated to learn the debug command to set the interestlevel.

~J

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile

Offline Kardell

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:38 pm »
Developing extra features is not a waste of time. I am quite sure no dev thinks like that. And everybody in the team wants to give the players as much X-Com as possible.
So for me please:
- fog of war, so when I open the door to the dark room my visual range is the beam of light coming from that door,
- destructible walls, so I can use plasma rifle to make an extra entrance on demand,

Imo it would be better to make the autoresolve possible as a standard and counter this by rewarding the players that donĀ“t use it.

Also, I would add the probability of a landed UFO escaping when the mission is played on autoresolve.
or yes, good idea, but please no skipping terror missions and base invasions.
From X-Com? No. That would have legal issues.

-geever
I am wondering if there is any access to the music sheets, so I can play and record these soundtracks on my Yamaha. Actually I should do this without any sheets.
Otherwise it will take a while before it goes to the public domain. Or to avoid legal issues make it available to download independently like the videos for Warzone2100.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:22:48 pm by Kardell »

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 11:56:33 pm »
- destructible walls, so I can use plasma rifle to make an extra entrance on demand
Well thats a good running gag around the forum here - hehe. ;)

I am wondering if there is any access to the music sheets, so I can play and record these soundtracks on my Yamaha. Actually I should do this without any sheets.
The original music was in midi format (EU,TFTD) - no need to replay things. That means you can remaster the midis with VSTIs but i wont do this, iam happy with the current soundtrack and my tracks i composed for this project. Of course you can do it your self and release it as a mod if it doesnt infringe any copyrights.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:05:36 am by Crystan »

Offline Kardell

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 12:34:40 am »
By the way Crystan where do you usually play in the weekends, Sat nights?

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 01:30:21 am »
By the way Crystan where do you usually play in the weekends, Sat nights?

Sorry, I dont understand the question. What do you want to know exactly?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:33:25 am by Crystan »

Offline Kardell

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 03:06:22 am »
Sorry, I dont understand the question. What do you want to know exactly?
Sorry I meant dJing.
Who is Venethian? I think I've seen him in the credits as Music by

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 03:36:04 am »
Iam not a DJ - iam a composer (using a digital audio workstation) and sound designer.I compose music whenever iam in the mood for it. ;) Venethian was a member of the initial Team (before 2.3 - probably even earlier - dont know much about the history of UFO:AI). He composed 6 tracks for UFO:AI. If you want to listen to my songs, you can DL them here.

Offline Kardell

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 07:30:34 pm »
Iam not a DJ - iam a composer (using a digital audio workstation) and sound designer.I compose music whenever iam in the mood for it. ;) Venethian was a member of the initial Team (before 2.3 - probably even earlier - dont know much about the history of UFO:AI). He composed 6 tracks for UFO:AI. If you want to listen to my songs, you can DL them here.
Cool. Thanks for links.
I like yours Geosphere02 & 04. I hear some elements reaching far to Jean M. Jarre, some other characteristic for around 2000 trance music.
I like Venethian's electric guitar what reminds me music from Oni game.
Good job, carry on!

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2012, 06:38:26 pm »
Chiming in on the side that if the battlescape is too boring, then the game probably isn't your forte.  The battlescape is the game.  If you take that out and autoresolve everything, I can't see where the game is even remotely exciting.  I know, to each his own, and they certainly want everyone they can to enjoy themselves to grow the community, but it just seems  awkward.

That said, I do see their point that most battle maps are too repetitive, and the base maps were big and played out mostly the same way... especially if you lay all your bases out the same way.  There needs to be more randomness in them, with different tactics to make things a bit more interesting.  Thinking back on XCOM, base defenses were often exciting because the aliens wouldn't always do everything the same way.  They varied their pathing and you had to be pretty careful about them sneaking up behind you.  You could force them into predictable patterns, but that required some planning.

And thinking back on XCOM again... you didn't have an autoresolve option, yet we loved it and played through them all. 

The best maps to me were the small, quick open fire shootouts that had the most suspense in them.  I enjoyed the city hunts and base maps, but again, aliens tended to always show up in the same place.  I only hit this map once in my last game, but there was one small city map that had about 12 aliens in it who just kept coming.  I think that was my favorite map.

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2012, 06:41:47 pm »
Cool. Thanks for links.
I like yours Geosphere02 & 04. I hear some elements reaching far to Jean M. Jarre, some other characteristic for around 2000 trance music.
I like Venethian's electric guitar what reminds me music from Oni game.
Good job, carry on!

Agree.  The music in 2.4 is excellent.  A significant upgrade to the game.  Well done!

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2012, 07:21:44 pm »
:)

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2012, 11:16:02 pm »
I did read it again. Not getting any better. So I go with my opinion.

Apologies if I offended you, although I can't for the life of me figure out why. :\

I happen to fall in the group of the privileged people who played the original X-com games, and I'm one of the people happy with UFO AI for its faithfulness to the spirit of the game :\

I was attempting to explain to... whoever it was... why he felt marginalized. Because, in plain english, the game isn't for him.

But sure, go ahead and do the whole jeering facepalm thing without seeking clarity from the person you're attempting to ridicule, why don't you.

No big loss to either of us. I still get to play UFO:AI :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:17:41 pm by geisthund »