project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Language Error  (Read 4289 times)

Aaangel

Language Error
« on: October 11, 2006, 08:40:06 am »
I must be reading the wrong news online, cus I hadn't seen you before. Excellent work guys. :!:

I just downloaded the RC5 (first version I've tried). I'm not sure if this bug has been reported yet, if so disregard or delete this post.

I'm located in Denmark and my OS is english, but with a danish keyboard config. I'm not sure if this is related, but thought you should know anyway.

The bug: I have a couple of things in the game listed by a danish name which is somewhat irritating (Games should be in english IMHO). But the weird thing is it only a couple of items, the rest is in english.
Eg.
 In the base menu "ships" (I suppose the english name for it would be) is listed as "Luftfartøjer". There has been a couple of other places where it's in danish.

I don't mind writing down all the spots if you need me too.

\Aaangel\

Aaangel

Language Error
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 10:13:44 am »
update: in another thread I saw that you could switch the language to en_GB in the cfg file. This fixes the base menu issues, however the problems persists in the ufopedia

Elbenfreund

Language Error
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 12:15:48 pm »
is it win or linux ?
i thought on win the installer (for rc5) asks for your prefered language.

nevertheless it should work in danish of cuz...
hm, so just my 2c and hopefully someone more competent reads this ;)

eric

Aaangel

Language Error
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 03:14:51 pm »
WinXP. Not sure if it asked me for my pref language, but it is kind of weird to get half in one language and the other half in second language.

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Language Error
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 11:24:22 pm »
A late reply...

Your XP locale is probably set to Danish, which is why UFO:AI will try to use the Danish translation. However, the Danish translation is far from done yet, so it uses the English strings wherever a Danish one isn't available.
(I'm the only one working on the Danish translation AFAIK, so it'll still be a while, but I hope I'll have time to finish it up sometime soon.)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Language Error
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 07:36:13 am »
you are still working on the danish translation? Please have a look here http://ufo.myexp.de/wiki/index.php/List_of_msgid and add your translations to our wiki - we have a program that syncs the wiki with the language files automatically. this way many translators can work on one po file without producing svn conflicts.

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Language Error
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 09:09:39 am »
Hmm... I can see why that's smart, but also - I like using gTranslate and PoEdit for translations, since they make it a lot easier by presenting me the original strings while I translate. Is that possible somehow with this wiki-translation-thingy?

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Language Error
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 12:12:08 pm »
Basically, this program takes only the strings which are translated on the wiki page http://ufo.myexp.de/wiki/index.php/List_of_msgid and their associated description for ufopedia (all the linked pages containing the description in your language).

It's really useful for the long description for ufopedia, such as combat_armor_txt. In poedit, you'll just see that the text to translate is "combat_armor_txt", but on the wiki you'll have the whole corresponding text.
It also syncs most of the names of the description (such as "Assault Rifle"), intro_sentences and prolog_sentences, and campaign texts.

This program allows us to have only one version of the translation for a given language. Otherwise, you could have a translation on the wiki, and another one in the .po file without noboby noticing it.

Still, there are a lot of strings in the .po file which do not appear on the wiki (all short sentences such as "Transfer equipment or personnel" or "Construction of %s building finished in base %s."). We still have to translate all those lines with poedit.

So you my advice would be :
- First, keep translating with poedit everything except the "*_txt" description, the intro_sentences and prolog_sentences.
- When you'll be done with that, you can translate these longer texts on the wiki page, and we'll put them in the .po file.

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Language Error
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 02:14:42 pm »
Yeah, ok, that seems pretty reasonable. I'll make sure to utilize that.
One thing though - I've been grabbing the latest dev-pot's, should I keep doing that or is there some other pot-file I should be working on instead?

I was thinking that it might be a good idea to have a string-freeze before the 2.0 release, so the translators can be sure there'll be no new strings added in the last minute and also give them a little time to finish up. Say 2 weeks string-freeze maybe?