project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Hi, few questions about modding Ufo:AI  (Read 19705 times)

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, few questions about modding Ufo:AI
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 05:53:12 pm »
I dont think the head need animation.
I mean it is like a weapon on a body, it is static. Only the body is animated.
Then if it is easier, you can export your head to md3

Anyway, you should post your file somewhere, if somebody when to debug it.

Offline Kahvipannu84

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 01:14:35 am »
Thanks for reply guys, I'll take new look for this tomorrow or day after, and post log and maybe the files if I don't get it to work.

Offline Kahvipannu84

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 09:17:56 am »
Ok, had some hardware problems and I had to format my computer.. :/ But I think I will take new look for this this weekend. Quote from your planned aliens:

"Psi-amplifier

Role: A unit which amplifies the psionic powers of other units but is very weak itself. One idea is to have a floating, gaseous creature which might have a brain but little ability to hurt anyone.
    Implementation: None.
    Campaign usage: Late-game unit. Common at terror attacks and in bases.
    AI Concept: Should run from enemies and try to stay away if possible. Player must "corner" them. "

Do you have any art for this done yet? Or are you open for suggestions? The description fits pretty well with Tentaculat from TFD, maybe less brainy, and more "gass balloon" skin/shape? I could make the model, uv's, and skin for it, and send to you guys if you will find use for it.

Also this guy:

"Alien flier

Role: Another aerial unit for the aliens, this time something more combat-oriented. Since the other flier is mechanical, this one should probably be organic.
    Implementation: None.
    Campaign usage: Mid- to late-game unit. Very common in all missions except alien bases.
    AI Concept: Prefers outdoors. Default attack/defense. "

Do you have any art for this done yet? What kind of look you were looking for, something like Floater from UFO: EU?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:27:21 am by Kahvipannu84 »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 10:58:37 am »
I don´t think there is more about those aliens than these informations, atleast not in the wiki. But even if there is something, you are not bound to this. If you provide something usefull, it will be used for sure.
I case you start working on that, you should consider the game does not support the flying units yet. So it will take some time before your models get into action.

On the other hand, accumulator started to implement the UGV´s into the game. He had some problems with the models we have, if you could help him out there, this would be great, too.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 12:00:32 pm »
Tentaculats - these F***ING ANNOYING .... GRAAAAAAAAAA. :D

I prefer the design of the Chryssalid (The Egg Man) - their strange grin face still gives me a bad feeling. Probably a combination of both would look scary - a big floating brain with a big eye and a scary grin face? :D

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 12:03:22 pm »
Just don't copy anything. I would like to see original artwork in the game not some modified copy of XCOMs'.

-geever

Offline Kahvipannu84

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 12:28:45 pm »
Ok, sounds good. I'll come up with something, I'll do changes as you request if you like it, and we build from there.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 12:57:16 pm »
Just don't copy anything. I would like to see original artwork in the game not some modified copy of XCOMs'.

-geever

Of course.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 04:09:24 pm »
"Psi-amplifier

Keep in mind that in its current state the game has no support for psionics. Without psionics, this alien would effectively be a weak, weapon-less object floating around. If you make the artwork, we'll store it for future use. But you might get more pleasure out of seeing something more immeditely applicable.

In terms of the artwork: your idea of a less-brainy, floating skin-like creature matches how I envision the unit as well.

"Alien flier

I would prefer to have an alien that does not wield a hand-held weapon and is not humanoid. This is mainly because we already have three humanoid aliens that hold weapons in their hands. In terms of gameplay, that means that all three change their weaponry throughout the game. I would prefer to have more unique aliens that have "built in" weaponry and can play specific tactical roles (like the Bloodspider).

Also, we don't support flying yet, but that will not prevent us from integrating the unit. It will "fly" around, just always at ground level until we get it implemented. :)

As ShipIt said, we're likely to try and use anything you create because we still need more aliens. But your alien is more likely to survive in the game over the long term if it fills a good gameplay role and fits the merged bio-mechanical theme of existing aliens. There are no hard and fast rules here, but feel free to discuss any concept you'd like.

ps - were you ever able to figure out how to export the animations with the MD2 file?

Offline Kahvipannu84

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 07:54:50 pm »
Keep in mind that in its current state the game has no support for psionics. Without psionics, this alien would effectively be a weak, weapon-less object floating around. If you make the artwork, we'll store it for future use. But you might get more pleasure out of seeing something more immeditely applicable.

It doesn't matter if it will take more time to get to hame, or if you deside to not use anything I make, or replace it later, If I can help any way to bring Psi's to the game a bit faster, I'm happy :D

I would prefer to have an alien that does not wield a hand-held weapon and is not humanoid. This is mainly because we already have three humanoid aliens that hold weapons in their hands. In terms of gameplay, that means that all three change their weaponry throughout the game. I would prefer to have more unique aliens that have "built in" weaponry and can play specific tactical roles (like the Bloodspider).

Also, we don't support flying yet, but that will not prevent us from integrating the unit. It will "fly" around, just always at ground level until we get it implemented. :)

As ShipIt said, we're likely to try and use anything you create because we still need more aliens. But your alien is more likely to survive in the game over the long term if it fills a good gameplay role and fits the merged bio-mechanical theme of existing aliens. There are no hard and fast rules here, but feel free to discuss any concept you'd like.

ps - were you ever able to figure out how to export the animations with the MD2 file?

Ok, I will think something. I am not very good designing new stuff, usually I prefer to have some kind of source to model/skin with. So if you can give anykind of more detailed things (shape, etc..) I'm more than happy to work with there.

Also I didn't figure out the problems I had earlier, I had some issues with my computer, and had to format it, and re-instal windows and everything, so that took some time. But I think I won't be adding these possible alien models in-game by myself, since they are for future use, and I lack the skill to do it. So I can provide models for you guys if you find any use for them. I'm going to try to solve the issues I had tought, since there is some personal modifications I would like to add to the game, and this is a game I can see play a lot in long run.

About some results, here is something I came up with as the "organig floating Psi-alien", as I stated I'm not a very good coming up stuff from my head, but it's a start. Model is about 1300 triangles, same size as human skeleton in-game. You had limitation of 1000 triangles for body, and 300 for head in you contribute section. Is this hardcoded limit, or just limitation to keep models in good size?

Textures I just throwed there to show something more presentative than colored surfaces, so it has zero details in it now. Everything you can come up with I will change, even make new totally different one.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:59:03 pm by Kahvipannu84 »

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 08:29:44 pm »
Looks scary, good start. Funny accident: The bottom right cornor perspective totally looks like this thing: :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:31:59 pm by Crystan »

Offline Kahvipannu84

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 08:48:55 pm »
Oh, it sure does look like that, hehe :D Is that from Princes Mononoke? Haven't watched that movie in long time, I should watch it again, if I remember right, it was pretty damn amazing.  ;D

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 10:54:01 pm »
Ok, I will think something. I am not very good designing new stuff, usually I prefer to have some kind of source to model/skin with. So if you can give anykind of more detailed things (shape, etc..) I'm more than happy to work with there.

My first thought would be to check out designs for next-gen drones and small science fiction space-vessels, things like that. Might give you some inspiration. There's no vision for the combat flier at this point so you're pretty free. Just keep in mind it would be a 1x1 unit (1 grid) so it has to be pretty small.

About some results, here is something I came up with as the "organig floating Psi-alien", as I stated I'm not a very good coming up stuff from my head, but it's a start. Model is about 1300 triangles, same size as human skeleton in-game. You had limitation of 1000 triangles for body, and 300 for head in you contribute section. Is this hardcoded limit, or just limitation to keep models in good size?

Limitations are just ideal targets. Looks like a good start. If it were me, I might make the body a little smaller and the hanging bits longer, since they'll give you an opportunity to do some nice animation.

You might also think about some kind of last-defense weapon. Perhaps it can spit out gas or an inky substance like squid when backed into a corner?

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 11:20:33 pm »

Oh, it sure does look like that, hehe :D Is that from Princes Mononoke? Haven't watched that movie in long time, I should watch it again, if I remember right, it was pretty damn amazing.  ;D

Yeah it is. And indeed it was/is amazing! :)

Offline Kahvipannu84

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 03:49:25 pm »
My first thought would be to check out designs for next-gen drones and small science fiction space-vessels, things like that. Might give you some inspiration. There's no vision for the combat flier at this point so you're pretty free. Just keep in mind it would be a 1x1 unit (1 grid) so it has to be pretty small.
Ok, I'll see what I can come up with. :)

Limitations are just ideal targets. Looks like a good start. If it were me, I might make the body a little smaller and the hanging bits longer, since they'll give you an opportunity to do some nice animation.
Ok, I will do that. Tought I have zero experience in animation, all I can currently provide is the model, uv-map, and textures, which you can improve upon, I hope that's some help.

You might also think about some kind of last-defense weapon. Perhaps it can spit out gas or an inky substance like squid when backed into a corner?
Got it, I'll implement somekind of defence mechanism to the model.