project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Bleeding wounds  (Read 35348 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Bleeding wounds
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2012, 07:04:10 am »
patch 17 can be applied to master already, no?

maybe you want an extra branch for your work? or are you done and only finetuning is left?

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2012, 04:37:30 pm »
Yes, patch 17 is good to go, it isn't directly related to the wounds system, it was just to make my game less prone to error out of battlescape during testing and I thought it would be nice to include it.

As for the rest, the features of the wiki proposal should be implemented with only some slight modifications (that I deemed necessary), so its pretty much finished, the only part that needs some serious work is the UI part, as it stands it was just for me to have a quick visual of how things were doing during testing.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2012, 10:19:22 pm »
some style notes:

bodyPartData_t should be named BodyPartData - the getters should be const and inlined

Code: [Select]
- } else if (damage < 0) {
+ } else if (damage < 0){

this patch part is not needed ;)

other than that i really like it. i will try to apply this to master in the next days to get some playtesting feedback.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2012, 10:53:04 pm »
some style notes:

bodyPartData_t should be named BodyPartData - the getters should be const and inlined
Speaking of style... did you agree on the new coding guidelines already?

Code: [Select]
- } else if (damage < 0) {
+ } else if (damage < 0){

this patch part is not needed ;)
:o What the... that obviously wasn't meant to happen :-[

edit:
Ugh I knew I was forgetting something...
I had some AI tweaks in my working branch and patch #8 also touches g_ai.cpp, as a result it won't apply cleanly to master, use the one attached here instead, sorry about that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:59:32 pm by DarkRain »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2012, 08:32:22 am »
Speaking of style... did you agree on the new coding guidelines already?

not yet - as i did not yet read everything of it. but the classnames should be upper camel case (we are using this for radiant already, too - just not for the ui (there it's lower camel case and should be fixed))

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2012, 10:28:08 pm »
the patch is applied to master now - thanks again

i've made some minor modifications in an appended patch.

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2012, 04:55:12 pm »
Great! Thanks to DarkRain we finally have a working wounds system :)

But, there are few things that concern me after reading the the patches:

0) Not really related to patch, but "hurt aliens in ufo crash missions" code does not match it's comments -- they assume 5% 15% 30% distribution, while code generates 5% 10% 15%
1) Network protocol has been changed, but it's version is not bumped. If changes are final, we should bump it to avoid misconnections.
2) Maybe that also applies to saved games (not sure, never really checked the code)
3) IMHO, decision to have non-integral TU costs for moving (if I understood the code right) is very, VERY questionable. IIRC there were bugs related to it before. My opinion -- just keep the fixed costs and limit movement by capping max TUs.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2012, 09:40:30 pm »
0 and 1 are fixed already
2 works - as the wounds system only added new stuff
3 might indeed be a problem - though the code looks sane

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2012, 02:18:47 pm »
@ H-Hour and Crystan being sarcastic @ Ajpe:
well, ajpe was perfectly on-topic : ) except that the thread had turned into a dev thread which is also nice.

tried the 2.5 dev in the weekend, and it seems there is functional wounds system there.

some wounds took several medkit applications to cure, but it was difficult to tell the health points of the wound, or whatever it would be that would let the player estimate how many medkit applications would be needed to stop bleeding.

there were different penalties for wounds on different bodyparts, but the gui just seemed to show exclamation mark icons for wounds, with no visible indication of the bodypart.
i guess the bodypart indication in the icons, or at least in a tooltip that would show the bodypart and the effect (because player might not remember the bodypart--effect table by heart), is probably planned, and the situation will get alleviated.

the differentiation between movement costs and shooting costs (rather than generic stat and time units reduction) seemed too much micromanagement for my taste and felt bit like first-aid tycoon as i expected earlier (movement cost to the next soldier with medkit was the only serious concern, as first aid felt nicely urgent).

and, as far as i understood, there is no such thing as soldier becoming unconscious before death.

the bleeding rate felt high enough, and i guess that fulfills the main purpose (together with medkit not healing a soldier to full health).

btw, i am currently taking another look at my battlescape hud mod from about half a year ago, and i might want those wounds visible in the main screen (preferably as bars), which cvar-s are involved?

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2012, 12:40:38 am »
[...]
the gui just seemed to show exclamation mark icons for wounds, with no visible indication of the bodypart.
i guess the bodypart indication in the icons, or at least in a tooltip that would show the bodypart and the effect (because player might not remember the bodypart--effect table by heart), is probably planned, and the situation will get alleviated.
[...]
the only part that needs some serious work is the UI part, as it stands it was just for me to have a quick visual of how things were doing during testing.
I'm not good at all with UI design, specially when it comes to creating the art assets needed for it...

btw, i am currently taking another look at my battlescape hud mod from about half a year ago, and i might want those wounds visible in the main screen (preferably as bars), which cvar-s are involved?
There are no cvars involved at all, I added a callback which is called on opening the window or when the cvar storing the soldier name changes (only works for the currently selected actor) it checks the actor wounds and passes the data to the confunc in charge to display the correct icons.

as far as i understood, there is no such thing as soldier becoming unconscious before death.
Nope, I considered adding a little stun damage each time a soldier is wounded to get a similar effect, but dropped the idea because stunned soldiers are treated as dead (they are removed form the UI) and there's no way to tell dead units from stunned ones in the field
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:47:09 am by DarkRain »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2012, 08:01:57 am »
a decal system in the renderer would be cool to get the bleeding visible on the ground surfaces of the map. but that's something for the future.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2012, 09:12:42 am »
ok, made some icon previews.

1) while it is possible to create somewhat recognizable icons for most bodyparts at that scale, the body wound icon would probably be a trouble.
therefore, i thought that
-in the background there is panel or something, that shows tooltip which lists current wounds and their effects.
-on top of that panel there are images (ghosts) of the bodyparts, colored green, red, or white (which is possible based on grayscale images, afaik).

2) the grown-up human proportions, and even in-game unt proportions made the head too small at that scale, so thought of either abstract (which looked boring) or infant images (a lot of material in public domain fine arts).

i have not tried out how the recoloring works in-game, and if the contrasts are right, etc, because unfortunately, i think i should first try to update my 2.4 hud mod which is broken with the recent reaction fire changes.

and here are some previews with recolored bodyparts (i have the grayscale pieces in xcf files, atm i wonder what peoples opinions are, maybe peeps will tell me that anything but stick figures is not ok):

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2012, 02:46:50 pm »
hmm.. no opinions, which might mean:
1) both are ok
2) both totally suck
3) people are waiting for me to create more variations until i arrive at something agreeable
4) it normally takes at least a month of pondering before taking the responsibility for having an opinion
5) no one is interested in scripting the gui at the moment (and i am busy elsewhere) and therefore this set of images wouldn't be needed immediately (but when those images will be needed one day, then we are not worried about them being ready before that time).

i guess the last option is probably the most likely, so it doesn't make sense to ask if an infant image would be suitable, or if it should be a stick figure.
which, of course, i cannot know for certain, really, as no one has said anything about it.

that being said, i guess i'll drop the matter for now.
i guess i'll check back some time next week maybe, just in case someone has developed some kind of a response by that time.
no guarantee that i am not drawing flying pigs then, and have no interest in cutting infants to pieces :P

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2012, 03:55:12 pm »
You would probably get more useful comments if you created an image that showed them in-game. You don't have to do the scripting but a screenshot with your stuff pasted in where you want it.

But I feel pretty confident in saying we're not interested in infants, and definitely not in cherubs (or, according to wikipedia, puttos), which you have used here.

Nokim

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2012, 09:16:52 pm »
i would prefer something in Fallout style but given small size it will be enough abstract...