project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Bleeding wounds  (Read 35127 times)

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bleeding wounds
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 05:40:13 pm »
ShipIt wrote 'a certain body part', not 'bodyparts', and i don't think this would necessarily mean the same thing.
So? No aiming to bodyparts in general, and certainly no aiming for that certain bodypart, I won't code it anyway (least I'll need to get some huge armoured diapers for my soldiers ::) )

(and i wonder if there will be any opinions by anyone on the severity of bleeding?)
I want to know this too, I'm of the opinion that a bleeding of 1-3 HP might not be enough for a sense of urgency, on the other hand, its not very likely that soldiers survive more than a couple shoots in a row with the new weapons balance, and if they get down to 4-6 HP after one shoot (I've seen it happen) a bleeding of 3 HP could kill them in a couple turns...

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 09:57:20 pm »
Hi Darkrain. Thanks for taking on this project. My thoughts on your questions:

1. I would like wound severity to be based on severity of hit -- but with a minimum threshold. What I mean is: an unarmored human who takes a hit to the torso should not develop a wound unless that hit is larger than, say, 15-20 damage. Then it could scale up depending on severity. (A later implementation could scale the threshold based on the armor -- an armor that protects the head but doesn't protect the arms might only need 20 damage to get a wound on the arm, but 50 to get a wound on the head, etc.). (Actual numbers will need to be tested and balanced.)

2. I believe the original intention was for both, but I'm not sure if this is possible with aDuke's recent implementation of reaction fire -- which is a straight up TU-for-TU comparison. If you have trouble with implementation it might be worth discussing other wound possibilities for torso.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 12:06:21 am »
Ok, then most work on phase two is done just need to tweak the different formulae for the various penalties and bleeding, and the chances of each type of wound appearing, and the client side stuff, will also need to double-check if things are working as expected for the reactionfire stuff...

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 10:24:51 am »

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 12:48:55 pm »
Darkrain, is there an ETA for that feature ?

If you need help with coding UI or HUD features, just shout. :)

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 08:43:14 pm »
@MCR: you know how this works, it's done when it's done (read: when I have the time and mood to do it), but I could use some ideas for the UI and HUD parts of the project.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »
Quote from: wiki
Each wound also bleeds, steadily taking health from the soldier until the battle is over, the wounds are healed or the soldier dies. Bleeding takes health directly from the health bar; there is no "second" health bar of any kind.
so, there is first, second, third and fourth health bar for the bodyparts (arms, legs, body and head), and the fifth health bar (= the main health bar) for blood pressure, right?
Wounds treated with a medikit do not disappear. Instead they are considered "treated". A treated wound does not bleed and only incurs half of its normal penalty.
that sounds good, and as i understand the wiki spec, the main health bar (the blood pressure bar) is healed instantly by blood transfer (at least i don't see any mention of healing the main health bar in hospital).
Wounds are treated in the order they were inflicted.
me suspicious about this one.
1. what if soldier got hit in the arm, and then leg, and then arm again?
will there be two wounds on the arm, or will the existing wound on the arm get more severe?
if there will be a second wound on the arm, the wound list might get long.
if the wound on the arm will get more severe, the spec is ambiguous about which wound should be treated, arm or leg.
2. the soldier might be bleeding to death from another wound while some smaller wound is being treated first.

[...]1. I would like wound severity to be based on severity of hit -- but with a minimum threshold.[...]
should this depend also on damage type, like suggested by TrashMan in the other thread?
maybe some damage types might have higher % of damage as wound?
that would mean those damage types that have lower wounding % should have higher hit damage, though, and more 1-hit kills.

--------
edit: another question here:
Wounds are treated in the order they were inflicted.
3. what happens when the arm has wound, the arm wound is treated, and the soldier gets hit in the arm again?
will there be 0..n wounds on the arm, or will the old wound on the arm become untreated or will there be a wound on the arm that is half-treated and half-bleeding?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:01:19 am by homunculus »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 03:25:54 pm »
Hey people, you thought I had disappeared didn't you? ;)
Well I didn't, I've just had some very hard days, the worst seems to be over so I should be able to come back to this project in the next days, just thought I'd let you know.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 03:33:11 pm »
Nice to see you back!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012, 06:20:32 pm »
nice to hear that - we are waiting for bleeding wounds ;)

btw. decals in the renderer to show the bleeding wounds in the map would be nice, too

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012, 06:59:34 pm »
we are waiting for bleeding wounds ;)

That sounds a little bit awkward :D

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012, 11:44:43 pm »
While working on my patch the following part of the code catched my attention:

In AI_SearchBestTarget() (g_ai.cpp):
Code: [Select]
501                         /* take into account armour */
502                         if (CONTAINER(check, gi.csi->idArmour)) {
503                                 ad = CONTAINER(check, gi.csi->idArmour)->item.t;
504                                 dmg *= 1.0 - ad->protection[ad->dmgtype] * 0.01;
Note: I'm pretty sure that this should be fd->dmgweight instead here ^

I don't think that the objDef for an armour is meant to have a damage type, in any case it could be fd->obj->dmgtype for the weapon's damage type, but the armour's?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2012, 11:54:24 pm »
you are right - please post a patch that we can give the credits to you ;)

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2012, 12:03:17 am »
Patch attached, I'll post it in the patch tracker if needed when I'm back home later

Ok, I moved the patch to the tracker.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:27:59 am by DarkRain »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 07:22:40 pm »
Hmm...
Seems that each time I go to test my recent modification of this patch I find some new bug... and I haven't yet got to the bugs that I'm no doubt introducing with my changes:

When I made the medikit have limited ammo, I stumbled on bug #3322633...
I try to test the new fire mode for revitalizing stunned actors, and I'm hit with bug #3510632...
That's out of the way, but now:
Did you know that it is currently impossible to shoot (and thus use the medikit on) a stunned actor?
*mumble mumble mumble*

I'm starting to understand why the others that tried this disappeared...
(Just kidding)