project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: questions about graphic options  (Read 4686 times)

Elbenfreund

questions about graphic options
« on: October 09, 2006, 03:27:47 pm »
heya.
im just doing the options chapter within the manual. My general "player" attitude (that served me well so far) to gfx settings was the more the merrier as long as fps stays up.
obviously this wont do for an serious options section within the manual so i would be grateful for any comment / info about what the following things/ settings actualy do and what might be important to know for any user of ufo:ai

texture compression
texture resolution cap
anisotropy level
texture lod
image filter

sound mixing rate

Thanks for your help, eric.

LucidGoldfish

Not an answer
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 07:10:57 pm »
I also want to know what these do. If anyone can provide some insight I would be grateful. I can't find anything about any of the graphic settings in the manual or this website.

-Thanks Charles

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: questions about graphic options
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 07:53:43 pm »
Quote from: "Elbenfreund"

texture compression
texture resolution cap
anisotropy level
texture lod
image filter

sound mixing rate

texture compression is what the name tells you - this enables texture compression for our upload function - use it if you have little graphic mem (also may redruce texture quality afaik)

anisotropy level to use for GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic feature and use texture parameter GL_TEXTURE_MAX_ANISOTROPY_EXT

texture resolution cap: set the maximum resolution the card can handle (should be autodetected - but you can also scale it down to improve performance)

texture level-of-detail: use texture environment GL_TEXTURE_LOD_BIAS_EXT

image filters: activate the image filters from shaders.ufo - e.g. the emboss mapping (pseudo bump-mapping)

sound mixing rate - this is the khz value the sound is played with 44khz, 22kht and so on

but please don't hurt me if i explained something wrong :-D

inquisiteur2

questions about graphic options
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 10:06:57 am »
Increasing anisotropy will make textures sharpers and less pixellised. On low-end graphic cards it is better to use a low resolution with a higher anisothropic level, than a high resolution with a low ani level.

Ex, with ATI radeon 6200 set it up to 800*600 Anisotropy level 2, it may work fine.