project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Freeze on reaction fire when inside harvesters  (Read 2708 times)

Offline OmniscientQ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Freeze on reaction fire when inside harvesters
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:30:46 am »
UFOAI Version: 2.4 IA-32  2011.11.16
Distro: Fedora
Video: Nvidia GTS 450, using the proprietary 280.13 driver from RPM Fusion
Arch: 64-bit processor, but running 32-bit OS

I just re-built UFOAI last month and the game is pretty damn stable... Except in one rather specific instance...

If one of my soldiers kills an alien via reaction fire while inside a Harvester, there's roughly a 50% chance that the game will hang. The client itself doesn't freeze. I can still select my units and check up on them. But the killed alien never actually falls down, and the alien turn never ends. I've left it sitting overnight, hoping it would eventually work itself out, but no luck there. And it ONLY happens with reaction fire inside a Harvester. In close to 40 hours of play this month, that is the only crash or hang I have encountered.

Attached is ufoconsole.log and a screenshot showing both the terminal window and the alien whose death triggered the most recent hang. The taman standing in the doorway is the one that just got flamed to death, yet he isn't falling over. This is the first time I've seen the freeze occur on the doorways. Usually, it happens when I park my soldiers near the stairwell in the middle of the ship and wait for the aliens to poke their heads out.

As always, this game is absolutely wonderful. Thanks for the time put into it so far, and any time yet to come.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:21:12 am by OmniscientQ »

Offline 10101

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Freeze on reaction fire when inside harvesters
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:46:34 pm »
Hello, i registered just for posting this.

I got sometimes similar errors.My system leaves battlescape when the errors happen, so no Screenshot. What changed the tide was an ecplicit errormessage i now got.So that might help find the issue.

Version: UFOAI Version: 2.4 IA-32 Jan 17 2012 Win32 DEBUG
Source: ufoai-latest-win32.exe from your Downloadtab
Video: Nvidia, GeForce 8600m GS
InGameRes: 1440x900
Arch: LapTop, Core 2 Duo T7500, 3GB RAM
Sys: Win7, ServicePack1

This time it was at the entrance of the UFO. The Alien leaves the UFO, moves past the right (from the view of the alien) corner and stays right in front of the Flamer, who reacts. In most cases it works, but sometimes crashes.

[Edit]
Yay, too much enthisiasm. Seems it was a prob of the hardware. Had to reduce the shading options and it is much smoother now. As the game had no problem and only the flamer made it slow as hell, i think the flames have too much objects, pixels, polygons or whatever and therefore made shading all these things a little problem. I'll see as the flamer is my mainweapon for entering ufos.
[/Edit]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:58:11 am by 10101 »