project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Campaign types?  (Read 6206 times)

Offline AngrySwede

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Campaign types?
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:37:28 pm »
Afternoon, everyone.

So I just downloaded the recent dev build because I read that it would fix some bugs I was experiencing, and I noticed an enticing new option after I went to start a new campaign. I saw that I could choose to start a normal campaign or a "static" campaign, I've searched the forums some but have come up with no information as to what the difference is. Is the static campaign a dev tool, or a more linear campaign? I'm sorry if it's something painfully obvious that I overlooked, but I'm dreadfully curious.

Thank you for your time!

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign types?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:14:46 am »
The static campaign is mattn's new invention. You haven't found out any information about it because none exists!

I believe it is something he is working on to create a campaign with a series of planned missions rather than the dynamic UFO/mission generation system in the main campaign. But it's still new. Testing is appreciated I'm sure. ;)

Offline AngrySwede

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:50:03 am »
I see, well I'm still quite new so I doubt I'd be the greatest tester. I'm still on my first mission and it has been nearly 2 hours since I started, I wound up getting the Mansion map so I'm having to clear every little bit of the place. When you annihilate the last alien, does the mission automatically end?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:14:39 am »
the static campaign will indeed be more linear.

currently it's still in development. you can't save the progress of the missions yet, and there is no end mission yet.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 07:15:49 am »
it has been nearly 2 hours since I started, I wound up getting the Mansion map so I'm having to clear every little bit of the place

In campaign mode ? As the map is still WIP there may be unreported problems. If you find something strange there, you can tell it itt : http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php/topic,6354.0.html. This way I can fix it asap. Because I want you to be happy rather than angry  ;).

When you annihilate the last alien, does the mission automatically end?

Yes.

Offline cpsogoj

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:44:44 pm »
The idea of a static campaign is interesting. I am willing to see how is gonna be.

In the opposite side of that idea, i suggest that the normal campaign ("dynamic" so to say) could have more starting options, like the one of creating you own base for instance.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:32:21 pm »
In the opposite side of that idea, i suggest that the normal campaign ("dynamic" so to say) could have more starting options, like the one of creating you own base for instance.

Thanks for the suggestion but "free-build" feature was removed for reason: it was a cheat.
Also it doesn't fit the story.

-geever

Offline Timo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 11:22:43 am »
the static campaign will indeed be more linear.

currently it's still in development. you can't save the progress of the missions yet, and there is no end mission yet.

Is the "static campaign" same as "simple campaign" in 2.4? I started a new game and this time selected simple campaign instead of full, and I'm not getting any ufos, only terror missions here and there. In full ufos appeared almost immediately. Or am I experiencing some sort of bug? Couldn't find any explanation what are the differences between full and simple campaign.