project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: brushes "stretched" in game  (Read 4350 times)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
brushes "stretched" in game
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:35:55 pm »
After spending countless hours I still was not able to solve this problem. I am somewhat lost now and have to ask for help.

Problem is, brushes that are pretty simple in radiant, get stretched in game. This most happens in poolhouse (bars build in corners and windows, but also on some of the coast tiles. As poolhouse.map is where I started at it may contain bad brushwork and worse, wich may be a reason for this. I had similar problems in this map in early stages, wich I solved by simply 'trial and error'. Removing a model once and a small brush the other time solved those problems. But now the map is much bigger. For that reason my example is mansion_coast_south_d.map.

From the start. I used ufo2map -check and -fix to prove the map is clean. It also compiles without problems.
This is how it looks in radiant:

Now the problem ingame. It shows the brush stretched to the left.

By removing the wall below this brush I can show how it 'should' look like. This also works if I remove all levelflags from the brush.

I build a new wall below - brush becomes stretched
I rebuild the brush up from scratch - stretched
I remove the cliff to the left - brush becomes stretched to the right
I replace the cliff on the right by a simple brush (build up from scratch of course) - still stretched
I remove everything in the map, leaving only 3 brushes (also info_human_start and _alien_start is needed to load the map) in the entity list, each one build up from scratch :

still stretched.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:39:05 pm by ShipIt »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: brushes "stretched" in game
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:04:45 pm »
1. Try giving the brush the Detail content flag. If I understood Sandro correctly, it will put the brush in a separate BSP tree and not cut it long the same edges. Maybe.

2. You may already know this, but check the image.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:12:11 pm »
^ if you are right I will be away for some time.

At least until I can get a new keyboard.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:25:16 pm »
this happens often if you did carving/cutting (the csg tools) that wasn't grid aligned.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 08:33:03 pm »
this happens often if you did carving/cutting (the csg tools) that wasn't grid aligned.

That might be the reason why it happens on that early tile mostly.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 10:51:22 pm »
if you see this happen, just remove the brush and remodel it with grid aligning activated. if you use the cutting tool, make sure that your cutting points are on the brush edge. otherwise you will generate not grid aligned brushes.

Attached a small image to represent what i'm talking about.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 07:37:52 am »
if you see this happen, just remove the brush and remodel it with grid aligning activated

Replacing the brush by a new one of the same sizes will not do the job. None of the "stretched" brushes i encountered on my map was out of grid. They were all well alligned (see example map).

In order to solve this, the size of the brush needs to be changed in some way. Often 0.125 pts. is enough.