project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Reaction fire problems  (Read 4797 times)

Offline UndefinedM

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Reaction fire problems
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:10:04 pm »
Hi all. I just started playing a couple of days ago thanks to desura, but i'm trying to deal with a frustrating issue about reaction fire:
whenever i have the feeling there are aliens close, maybe behind a wall or something, i tend to place my guys aiming towards the spot where i think the enemy will appear, in the hopes they'll frag it as soon as it pops into view. most of the time, though, aliens can jump in front of 4 guys and easily fill one of my soldiers with plasma or whatever weapon they use before any of them even thinks about shooting it.
Am i doing something wrong? It's really annoying having to restart a mission countless times because some damn grey can instakill my guys while they sit and watch :(

Offline nanomage

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction fire problems
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:12:22 pm »
I remember reading somewhere here that the reaction fire system as it stands is crude, unfinished and planned for overhaul, so I think it's not worth complaining before it's remade.
However, it doesn't look to me like your soldiers are really meant to shoot aliens as soon as they pop into your LoS. Aliens should spend enough TU's (enough to react, aim and shoot) in front of a soldier doing something before he can do anything about them, this is how it's meant to work I think.

Offline UndefinedM

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 01:20:43 pm »
might be, but that's what aliens do when my guys walk into ther LoS and they have TP :\ more than once i've seen aliens calmly walk in front of my team and fill one of them with plasma before any starts doing anything. But alright, if it's gonna be modified i'll wait :D

Offline Kemlo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:59:27 pm »
I assume you are using the 2.3.1 version ?
The 2.4 dev version has had a bit of work done on this already so you might want to give it a try.

Offline UndefinedM

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:37:59 pm »
Yeah, 2.3.1. Is the 2.4 dev much different, and how unstable? Moreover, how close for it becoming the latest stable version? I have a fairly slow connection and downloading 800mb would take its toll :( (also, on the download page there are three possible downloads but i'm unsure which one should i get if i already have it installed..are the binaries or the radiant installer enough or i have to get the whole package?)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:26:12 pm »
You would need to download UFO:AI installer (complete installer). This is because the 2.3.x is not compatible with the development version.

Note: your save game from 2.3 will not work in 2.4. The format has changed.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:45:37 pm »
[...] But alright, if it's gonna be modified i'll wait :D
In this case, you know, it will all be over without your input.
I wouldn't trust a genius to make a good reaction fire system just from the top of his own head.

Ildamos

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 09:35:13 am »
Muton uploaded a v2.3.x build that has a functional RF system a year or so back. I'm playing it at the moment and will give a review of this build once I finish the game. The file can be found somewhere in this thread: http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php/topic,2830.0.html

Look for the last 2.3 upload. (Or you can go ahead and DL the latest 2.4 build.)