project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Feedback and impressions after 1 campaign  (Read 16864 times)

Offline XCom 90

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback and impressions after 1 campaign
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 11:23:55 am »
Hello everyone!

I registered to say thank you for a great game! I've been playing 2.1, tested 2.3 and now finished 2.4 (always on easy, because I'm that type of guy).
I have been around a while and of course I could also write a big proposal post, but it would not contain anything new. In fact, most of my matters are to be included in 2.5, I think.

I will highlight a few points just to lend them some urgency, though :).

Geoscape:
I love to build Radar-towers on small islands or outer edges of land masses. Is there any possibility to show me in a red/green highlighted way where I can build and where I can't? Or at least make it so that if you choose "build structure" that does not become unselected until you actually build it or press "Esc". That way I could at least fast click on an area to see if I can build there. right now I have to select Build structure, choose the structure and try out a place and if it fails do it all again.

I have the bug of air fights suddenly becoming really slow as well. Just mentioning it, because I wasn't sure if it was meant to be fixed in 2.5 or in 2.4 already (as said, I'm playing the later).

Battlescape:
I feel like it becomes harder to hit aliens that stand on a slope (like between area levels). It certainly becomes harder to select them as target (you have to move your mouse somewhere next to the alien).

Is the accuracy shown for a shot the actual probability used by the game? If so, I'm imagining things which isn't unlikely, but I think my Rocketlauncher doesn't hit as often as the accuracy would suggest (usually use him for ~70-90% shots, aiming for feet or in case of a wall behind the alien, the center. I think I managed to even shoot one between a Tamaan's legs that went on another 5+ fields :) ). Anyway, might be selective perception, but I noticed it with my rocketlauncher people and not my snipers, that I use similarily.

Automission. :)
Proposal: Give automission-option for any map that has been played at least once. Use the average result of all the times the map has been played as base. Modify it by an amount that decreases with the number of times the map has been played.
Example: If the mas been played once with perfect result, than this is the base result for automission. But since it's been played only once the actual result can vary by 100% so you could actually loose all soldiers if you make automission on the second time you play a certain map. If you've played the map 3 times with an average of loosing 1 soldier (-12.5%), This can only vary by 60% so => from 5% ~ no loss to 17,5 ~ 2 losses. If you've played the map 5 times, you will always get your average result of your 5 tries. But you can keep trying to make it better (or make it worse in the process).
=> the idea is probably unnescessarily complicated but that's what I came up with :). Maybe it sparks a good idea for someone else.

Base Management: My favorite part of the game :)

Most desperatly wanted: Sort available recruits by an ability or skill!

In favor of more space in a base. Love the two+ levels idea.

Make transfer easier. Holding mouse button for transferring 900 Antimatter has become a nuisance since I don't smoke anymore and can't use that time to light up a cigarette :).

Hire scientists/workers by typing in the amount or using a slide bar instead of clicking 10 boxes. Unless you plan to implement actuall skills for pilots/etc. as well. Then I'll gladly keep clicking :).

Campaign:
Awesome job. Love everything about it, especially the flavor texts. Can't wait to have a second planet on my geoscape view to build space bases on :D.

I understand you tweaked the number of encounters, which probably lessens the need to "fix" automission. Cool.

All in all, it was time to say thank you.
Thank you.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback and impressions after 1 campaign
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 05:11:32 pm »
I love to build Radar-towers on small islands or outer edges of land masses. Is there any possibility to show me in a red/green highlighted way where I can build and where I can't? Or at least make it so that if you choose "build structure" that does not become unselected until you actually build it or press "Esc". That way I could at least fast click on an area to see if I can build there. right now I have to select Build structure, choose the structure and try out a place and if it fails do it all again.

I'm not sure, but the nations outline may help here.

Is the accuracy shown for a shot the actual probability used by the game?

No, it's just an estimate and is often wrong. The game actually sends the projectiles downrange and sees what hits, I believe.