project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Map finished!  (Read 22710 times)

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
Re: Map finished!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 05:33:42 pm »
Ok, I have updated the map, fixed the glitches and the levelflags. Now I have a door that just won't open (the first on the right, just behind the truck) and a door opening the wrong way (the first one on the left)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2012, 12:14:48 pm »
I am short on time atm, but I will take a look over the weekend for sure.

Did you run
Code: [Select]
ufo2map -check maps/suburb already ? If this gives you any output, you will have to fix this.

Also, you need to make a statement about the licencing. Something like "I release this under the GNU General Public License 2.0 or later versions." and the author name you want to see in the credits for the map.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2012, 12:10:01 am »
OK, I fixed the map with the -fix. Just another stupid question, maybe I made an horrible mistake from the start: to make a stair climbable by actors I must make it BOTH at least 32 pixels wide and aligned to grid32? In this case, I must redo everything from scratch. F**K ME!

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2012, 12:22:06 am »
Yes, every unit in the battlescape moves within the 32x32 grid tiles. In order for them to access a space on the tile they must be able to access the whole grid, minus a 4 unit edge. That means that stairs must take up at least an entire grid's width.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2012, 12:28:07 am »
I just had a look at your map and it does seem like a lot of it is not aligned to the 32x32 grid very well. You shouldn't need to rebuild everything from scratch, but you will probably want to make minor adjustments to the sizes of most of your buildings and anything that will obstruct the pathing.

A good way to think about this is to place actor_clip brushes over every grid tile you don't expect the player to be able to walk. I often do this just to help me visualize the grid and be sure I'm building within it.

You might also want to check out some other maps to see how they are constructed. The houses in /oriental/ are probably a good place to start. A more complex map that is well constructed is the /mansion/mansion_main.map.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2012, 03:20:42 am »
Right! I managed to fix everything, now the stairs are usable and the second floors are accessible. I tried the map several times with the console "MAP" command, no glitches until now. I am using the 2.6 version, much more interesting. The map has 13 alien spawn point, 8 human start points and start points for 2 teams of players. I think I am done with the map, this was just a warm up for a more ambitious project. Now, here's the disclaimer:

I, Davide "Deadman" Amato release this under the GNU General Public License 2.0 or later versions. I also include the textures named "sign-forsaleblack" and "sign-privateblack" in the tex_pics directory, both made by me.

I also need to make the maps.ufo entry. Do I just need to add the text to the maps.ufo? Will this be good?

mapdef suburb
{
map "suburb"
param small
description "A suburban street in a poor area of the city"
size "small"
teams 2
multiplayer true
maxaliens 13
hurtaliens false

aircraft
{
}

ufos
{
}

terrains
{
        tropical
        grass
        cold
}

cultures
{
western
        eastern     
        }

populations
{
urban
suburban
village
}
}

I am including the .map and the compressed .bsp. Thanks to everybody for your help and support. I would never have managed to finish the map without you! Do you think that this map is good enough to be included into the new release?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:23:40 am by Latino210 »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2012, 08:14:28 am »
8 human start points

As the Herakles dropship can take 12 soldiers into battle we need at least 12 info_human_start. Also 3 info_2x2_start for team 1, because there will be UGVs in the game.

If we add it, will you take responsibility for the map, e.g. make fixes if someone reports a bug?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2012, 10:15:17 am »
there are missing textures - please also upload your new textures

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2012, 11:05:00 am »
Right, here are the textures. They should be added to the tex_pics directory. I will add the start points today. I think I can take responsibility for the map and try to fix any reported bug. BTW, can somebody help with the maps.ufo entry? I just cannot make it work!

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2012, 11:56:16 am »
HELP, how can I activate the entity inspector in UFOradiant? I have some errors with the ufo2map -check but I cannot find them!

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2012, 12:07:01 pm »
As MCR mentioned in a previous post in this thread, all of your textures must be power of 2. That means their dimensions should be 32/64/128/256/512. Please resize your textures along these lines. You'll probably need to realign them in the editor as well (on the Surface Inspector tab, look for the Fit button).

Also, do not edit the maps.ufo. We will do that when we integrate your map. To test, simply create a new file with the mapdef entry you posted. You can name it whatever you want and place it into the /ufos/ folder. Your map should then be playable in skirmish mode.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2012, 12:33:36 pm »
HELP, how can I activate the entity inspector in UFOradiant? I have some errors with the ufo2map -check but I cannot find them!

Disregard that, I am an idiot. I forgot the "find brush" tool.

As MCR mentioned in a previous post in this thread, all of your textures must be power of 2. That means their dimensions should be 32/64/128/256/512. Please resize your textures along these lines. You'll probably need to realign them in the editor as well (on the Surface Inspector tab, look for the Fit button).

Also, do not edit the maps.ufo. We will do that when we integrate your map. To test, simply create a new file with the mapdef entry you posted. You can name it whatever you want and place it into the /ufos/ folder. Your map should then be playable in skirmish mode.

Will be done. The mapentry def are wrong and I cannot make them right, until now I tested the map with the map console command.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2012, 12:35:41 pm »
Try this mapdef. I just used it for a test myself:

mapdef suburb
{
map "suburb"
description "suburb"
teams 2
multiplayer false
maxaliens 8
aircraft
{
}

ufos
{
}

terrains
{
//any
}

cultures
{
//any
}

populations
{
}
}

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2012, 02:25:45 pm »
Here are the new textures, 512 x 256. I have some "brush overlap" error, but I do not think they will impair map functionality, I will leave them be. I am finishing to align the starting position for some civilians and I think there will be no more to do.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2012, 03:05:42 pm »
Next problem — we try to no use textures with readable text, because of translation reason.

This is not mandatory, but desired.