project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Firaxis Games announces XCOM: Enemy Unknown  (Read 18488 times)

Offline MtTriglav

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Firaxis Games announces XCOM: Enemy Unknown
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »
Probably theyre late tech. Our Power Suit is also very bulky ;)

Still makes more sense for a heavy powered armour, than those ones that just look like they're wearing a fridge...

Offline bluereaper75

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 05:31:19 am »
who said you could only have one base? i saw an interview where one of the devs mentioned having "bases"

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 01:50:11 am »
Looks nice, but again a bit too cartoonish for me to get totally cosy with it.

I can deffo buy these here http://ufoai.org/forum/index.php/topic,5278.msg49107.html#msg49107 (are they in game yet?), but the overbulked space marines stuff seen in the previews there are just a bit too over the top for pure joy...
i think it is not so much about the bulkiness as it is about the animation being disney style.
i mean, the exaggerated movement windups of the human units, as if trying to say "i am the mwst awesome pwnsor hero worrier in the universe and i have all the time to show it off and make it perfectly clear to everyone while i prepare to shoot", rather than trying to just shoot quickly and get back to cover as soon as possible.
removal of a few windup frames here and there would imho benefit the general atmosphere of game.
also, the aliens animation is disney style in that sense, the grays resemble bambi movie.
it should rather be animated as advanced space races (with some dignity) against terrified humans instead, not like some tough guys living out their frustration by shooting in disneyland.
the original game always somewhat resembled the europeans first landing in the americas to me.

that aside, the cover gui looks promising, i mean, it looks neat.
i hope they will show more of how it works at several angles in later videos.

and the perspective switches look nice.
one of the "mysterious" things i have always wondered about, is how a soldier can throw a grenade over a house and aim accurately at the intended spot ("as if") seen from above.
it has made me think that an ufo game should switch to first person perspective for the time of aiming.
they do seem to intend some harder game modes, but i doubt they will ever consider this one.

also, less seriously, all the ufo games have got one thing wrong: the grays are not really gray.
aliens are green, everybody knows that, and gray is their space suit, and their big black eyes are really protective glasses.
humans in space suits might be seen by local aliens as silver cyclops.
otherwise, imagine you would go to another planet, like mars, naked like a nudist.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:57:29 pm by homunculus »

Offline Kahvipannu84

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 07:15:49 pm »
New gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LBY6ETmWra0

I have to say, I'm really happy Firaxis is doing this, but I really don't like the thing this is made with the limitations of the console. F tooked the right path with Civ games, they released Civ-revolution for consoles, which was very good simpler version of Civ, and kept the "real" Civ at PC. I do understand ofcourse why this didn't happen with X-Com tought, but still.

Also they say it's "re-imagination" of the X-Com, not remake, it tells a lot. I'm 100% sure the strategic options have been cut down becouse of consoles, most shocking was that they got rid of the TU's, which is the core of the battle-mechanic of the classic, and UFO:AI proves the system works like well greased engine, no need to change that. New is not always better, like the realtime JA:Reloaded that got released, oh why they had to change the combat mechanics :( This change is made most surelly becouse of consoles in mind. Also making the soldiers bulking "heroes" with skill trees, and going to the cartoony style is not what the old X-Com presented, it was struggle to the end to survive against the alien treath. It looks very pretty, but colorfull spacemarines shooting aliens isn't really the thing I would personally want to see from X-Com game.

I know I will buy this regardles, it still looks very, very good in production values, and Firaxis usually knows what they are doing. It can still be amazing game, but I doubt it will give the depth we PC-gamers want :(
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:18:48 pm by Kahvipannu84 »

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:15:33 pm »
New gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LBY6ETmWra0
[...]
at about 1:00 the interviewer says: "so, design-wise, it's got kind of a cartoony, almost toy-like feel to it [...] what was your thought process going in when you were designing this?"

does that mean "what were you thinking?"

hahahahha)))
didn't most people play x-com for the sinister atmosphere?
the "we hate first person shooters" line will only get them so far.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:14:47 pm by homunculus »

Offline Starbug

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 06:05:02 pm »
The main site has a new E3 trailer up.
Its all cutscene rather than gameplay, but it does show a few new enemies by the looks of it

Offline cpsogoj

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 02:51:56 pm »
I think that these guys doing such games are not mentaly stable: how could someone think that a xcom fan would like 3d-shoot'em-all game? If i want a quake-like game i have BILLIONS of options. What we (xom/ufo ai fans) want its more games of that kind.

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 02:58:21 pm »
Err... the Firaxis remake is a turn-based strategy like the old XCOM games, it just features a few interesting tweaks like close-up cinematics when you get a headshot and stuff like that. Apparently you'll be able to turn those off too. I can't wait for it, although the desire for it to be here NOW is what brought me to this site and this game for which I am eternally grateful!

Offline Timo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 10:59:21 am »
I hope for playable demo before buying. Bought Orion 3 because I loved Orion and Orion 2, but Orion 3 was not even close to same as those older games, it was complete disaster. I fear this happens again in this new XCOM game, gameplay has been forgotten because preference has been in graphics and cinematics.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 01:29:32 pm »
Bought Orion 3 because I loved Orion and Orion 2, but Orion 3 was not even close to same as those older games, it was complete disaster.
Hah yeah. Besides that, MoM3 was more like a spreadsheet software than a game in my opinion... ;)

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 03:50:22 pm »
You mean MoO3, of course? Yes, it is. 1&2 were simulators of Galactic Emperor, The Man Who Makes Decisions, and it was fun. MoO3, on the other hand, is the simulator of galactic empire with all that boring bookkeeping and always counting resources and always trying not to forget what and where needs attention after ~10 moves.
Booooring. No fun.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 05:34:30 pm »
Erw yes, Master of Magic 3 would be nice but yes - i ment MoO xD

Nokim

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 09:41:19 pm »
You mean MoO3, of course? Yes, it is. 1&2 were simulators of Galactic Emperor, The Man Who Makes Decisions, and it was fun. MoO3, on the other hand, is the simulator of galactic empire with all that boring bookkeeping and always counting resources and always trying not to forget what and where needs attention after ~10 moves.
Booooring. No fun.
I've played MoO3 before seen 1&2. It's not so boring. Just don't babysit every system - local governments can take care of things, specially if you set correct plans for them. Battles - what is really disappointing. Technology tree is strange too. Why all new and powerful weapons and devices always get bigger? It's very strange for somebody in XXI century comparing nowadays notebook and ancient mainframe. :D

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 11:31:50 am »
Over 1H Gameplay video. For me it looks actually fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1VP4YmExQAE

Love the idea they made the debriefing screen in the ingame engine - probably we can do this too? ;)
Btw. i hope they let us mod this game. I want to replace these terrible sounds... ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:41:41 am by Crystan »

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 04:50:10 pm »
Demo did not leave me impressed.
The tactical options are not as great as it would first seem. Especially since your soldiers are over-speciliazed to the point of absurdity.