project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: PK3 and UFO file priorities  (Read 4917 times)

Offline OmniscientQ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
PK3 and UFO file priorities
« on: April 14, 2011, 05:53:20 pm »
This page - http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Pk3 - claims that any file sitting out in the open as a .ufo file takes priority over anything loaded into a PK3. Is that still the case for 2.4-Dev? I've extracted and made some changes to equipment.ufo and research.ufo, but the game behavior is exactly the same.

I was trying to remove nanocomposite armor from the asymptotic market since it now requires alien materials for manufacture. I also tried to add aerial laser cannons, base defense lasers, anti-alien grenades, electrolasers, and DF stun cartridges since they're all based on terran tech. My attempt to add electrolasers as a requirement for DF stun cartridge construction similarly failed.

Do I need to package my customized .ufo files into a PK3, add a numeral to the beginning of "equipment.ufo", or something entirely different?

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: PK3 and UFO file priorities
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:37:23 am »
i think u dont extract the file to the right directory. What does you tree looks like?

Offline OmniscientQ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:11:01 am »
geever already answered for me in IRC. I did, in fact, have the directory structure wrong. I had just extracted the .ufos into the /base directory, since that's where the 0ufos.pk3 was being kept. Didn't realize I needed a /ufos directory to store the uncompressed ones.

Offline Avimimus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:15:31 am »
I'm having a similar problem. I made some modes for 2.3 - so it should be working.

I unzipped .base\0ufos.pk3 to .base\ufos\*.*

For some reason none of the changes are registering. Could it be a problem with the format/settings of the edited files?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 10:38:56 am »
I'm having a similar problem. I made some modes for 2.3 - so it should be working.

I unzipped .base\0ufos.pk3 to .base\ufos\*.*

For some reason none of the changes are registering. Could it be a problem with the format/settings of the edited files?

Did you remove the pk3?

-geever

Offline Avimimus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:09:33 pm »
I just tried that: No effect!

The game still runs with original settings (without the file). I'm using 2.4dev btw.

Interesting...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 03:30:27 pm »
I just tried that: No effect!

The game still runs with original settings (without the file). I'm using 2.4dev btw.

Interesting...

Check the game directories, probably there are other copies of the ufo files, and check your ufoconsole.log for errors.

-geever

Offline Avimimus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:53:51 pm »
Got it! I was storing an earlier version (backup) of the file I was editing in the directory.

Thanks!  :D