project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: first mapping attempt - the +mansion map thread  (Read 41925 times)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: first mapping attempt
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2012, 08:06:27 pm »
Amazing work you got there....

Thank you very much.

If you dont mind playing the map for a minute or two, I would like to get as much feedback as possible. There is still room for a lot of ideas. But be sure to be always up-to-date, as I am working on this all day long.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2012, 09:55:27 pm »
Can i post some screens of your map on our indiedb profile? :)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2012, 10:32:14 pm »
Can i post some screens of your map on our indiedb profile? :)

Of course.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2012, 12:06:05 pm »
Some screenshots of how it looks like now.

Still a lot of work.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2012, 03:03:08 pm »
Great, but why is it not in master yet  :'( ?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2012, 04:54:46 pm »
very nice.

just one minor issue though - the boat looks a little bit too huge.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2012, 05:51:18 pm »
Great, but why is it not in master yet  :'( ?

It is now.

Edit:It should be.

very nice.

just one minor issue though - the boat looks a little bit too huge.

Yeah you are right.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:55:40 pm by ShipIt »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2012, 08:41:41 am »
It looks like i hit another wall with my map. :'(

This time it is called max_gl_textures. Now i am busy counting textures like a shepherd counts his sheep. This may take some time, as i hate it.

Wish me luck, please!

Edit : r_listimages 1 gives me 996 out of 1024 used. And there is no dropship on the map yet nor an ufo. Frustrating.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:54:17 am by ShipIt »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2012, 08:50:06 am »
counting textures? i can extend uforadiant to give you a texture overview. but this might take a few days, too

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2012, 09:15:24 am »
counting textures? i can extend uforadiant to give you a texture overview. but this might take a few days, too

Thanks. I have no idea how such a solution would look like, as UFORadiant never shows the whole map ?

I think I will make some kind of chart first, to see wich textures can be replaced by already used textures. I am this far now, that little problem will not stop me.
Also, if you could provide some suggestions how I can find out what causes the problems on the poolhouse (streched brushes). This would really help me to get over this.

@mattn I am sorry about crashing the mp yesterday. It looks like the map-get-scripts won´t work accordingly with python 3.x, wich was (i added this) not mentioned in the wiki. But i solved this and am ready to play whenever possible.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2012, 09:31:26 am »
The problem is: You are not really able to count them, because the texture slots get filled with model (&other) textures dynamically during in-game play and I am not sure if they ever get released, when the caching of models option is turned on. ::)

So the longer you play, the more texture slots will get filled. Model caching should be a feature, but unfortunately in combination with MAX_GL_TEXTURES it acts like a bug.  ???

Another funny thing is that we have virtual in-game limit of 1024 models per map (MAX_MAP_MODELS), which alone would use up ALL of our texture slots when really used...  :o

You can turn off model caching to free a lot of the texture slots...
So to avoid bugs during play in-game (also with other maps), we should rework model caching and limit the amount of cached models to a specified number if MAX_GL_TEXTURES = 1024 is to be set in stone.

Edit: The MAX_MAP_MODELS stuff is not true, because it stands for the total number of map models allowed, not the number of different models, so forget that one, please...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:55:18 pm by MCR »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2012, 09:34:55 am »
@ShipIt: i will create a dialog for showing the textures and their count in the map. and maybe even the replace dialog right beside it. Just give a 2 days to finish it, i don't have much time these days.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2012, 09:57:30 am »
@ShipIt: i will create a dialog for showing the textures and their count in the map. and maybe even the replace dialog right beside it. Just give a 2 days to finish it, i don't have much time these days.

I will take whatever i can get.  ::)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2012, 12:32:33 pm »
It may help to think of your map thematically rather than realistically. In reality, everything has a different texture, but in a game you will often re-use textures a lot. Maybe you only need one type of floor tile, one type of wooden paneling. Maybe every chair in the house is the same kind.

From your perspective as a creator, who puts a lot of thought into the map, these things will stand out. But to a player who interacts with the objects generically (can I hide behind this? this looks like a kitchen area/living room/bathroom. Etc.) this kind of repetition is more acceptable.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2012, 12:58:13 pm »
It may help to think of your map thematically rather than realistically. In reality, everything has a different texture, but in a game you will often re-use textures a lot. Maybe you only need one type of floor tile, one type of wooden paneling. Maybe every chair in the house is the same kind.

From your perspective as a creator, who puts a lot of thought into the map, these things will stand out. But to a player who interacts with the objects generically (can I hide behind this? this looks like a kitchen area/living room/bathroom. Etc.) this kind of repetition is more acceptable.

Well, i can see your point. And this is the way to go for me with my map if it is the way you want to go with the game.

Edit : *maps