project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Aircraft Production  (Read 16327 times)

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Aircraft Production
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:58:05 pm »
Have a spare, empty large hangar at a base and dis-assembled enough kit to make a researched Interceptor, but production is blocked with the "You cannot queue aircraft. No free space in hangers" message.

It appears if I try to produce a Dragon, Starchaser or Stingray, but I'm allowed to build a Saracen or a Firebird. Are these Interceptors not ready for use yet?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Aircraft Production
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:44:08 pm »
please attach your savegame

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:22:10 am »
please attach your savegame

Not needed. Dragon, Starchaser and Stingray need small hangar while Saracen and Firebird need large hangar.

-geever

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 10:48:14 am »
Not needed. Dragon, Starchaser and Stingray need small hangar while Saracen and Firebird need large hangar.

-geever

Simple as that eh? Perhaps the trap message ought to be changed to be a bit more informative in a case like this?

Thanks geever... ???  ;)

Offline TallTroll

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:41:29 am »
Shouldn't it be possible to build / store a small-size craft in a large hangar? A waste of resources, yes, but sometimes it might be preferable to use a large hangar that is free now than wait until a new small hangar is built somewhere

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 12:09:52 pm »
Shouldn't it be possible to build / store a small-size craft in a large hangar? A waste of resources, yes, but sometimes it might be preferable to use a large hangar that is free now than wait until a new small hangar is built somewhere

Shouldn't.

-geever

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 01:14:15 pm »
Shouldn't.

-geever

Wonderful informative reply - thanks geever.  :-X

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 01:46:13 pm »
Probably the big hangers have docking devices that arent compatible with smaller crafts. ;)

Offline TallTroll

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 10:16:18 pm »
That's obviously not the case... PHALANX craft are all V/STOL, so basically just need a flat bit of hard standing to operate from. All weapons are interchangeable, so there's not even an objection in terms of reloading from different racks etc.

Even if the final reason is that devs CBA to implement it, that's fine. There are probably better things to spend limited dev time on anyway, and I rather doubt it's something anyone would want / need to do often anyway. However, it might be useful to have it as an option sometimes

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 12:10:37 am »
That's obviously not the case... PHALANX craft are all V/STOL, so basically just need a flat bit of hard standing to operate from...

Actually, if the Ufopaedia didn't change its mind, it says the things land via autopilot and the pad hooking the craft from below. I can see how the latter would have some issues with a size difference.
The main issue is stated to be fuel lines. And I guess a Stiletto could have issues with a Firebird sized fuel line that simply make it not worth the trouble.

Offline TallTroll

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:44:26 pm »
>> And I guess a Stiletto could have issues with a Firebird sized fuel line that simply make it not worth the trouble.

PHALANX engineers can build a space capable interceptor from scrapped alien starships, but they can't figure out a universal collar joint for a fuel line. Right.

Seriously, if there's an actual game design reason for disallowing it, fine. Or if it's a low priority item, and isn't likely to ever be fixed, fine

>> it says the things land via autopilot and the pad hooking the craft from below

No pilot anywhere, ever, is going to let a machine do a VTOL landing for him, unless he's unconcious / dead in the pilots seat, and had been forced to set A/P to have some slim chance of survival

Offline pnakasone

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 09:40:55 am »
Given the military pragmatism I wold think they would want  only one hanger design. Thus a hanger should either hold one large craft or two or three small ones. 

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 03:35:29 pm »
Given the military pragmatism I wold think they would want  only one hanger design. Thus a hanger should either hold one large craft or two or three small ones.

Mostly agree. For reasons of available space one might build a small hangar which can only hold one small craft, but a large hangar should be suitable for ANY ship (and of course more than 1 small).

Offline DarthLuca

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 11:00:18 am »
Also hit this problem in one of my bases where I had A large hangar free but couldn't build a small ufo style ship. Needs fixing at some stage but agree not high priority. My solution: De-arm and scrap the stilleto, buy a Saracen and hey presto, free small hangar!

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 12:29:10 pm »
Also hit this problem in one of my bases where I had A large hangar free but couldn't build a small ufo style ship. Needs fixing at some stage but agree not high priority. My solution: De-arm and scrap the stilleto, buy a Saracen and hey presto, free small hangar!

It is not a bug - so no fix is needed. Small interceptors cannot be stored in Large hangar.

-geever