project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: My first map tile! Help please!  (Read 11135 times)

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
Re: My first map tile! Help please!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 02:59:23 pm »
Still no luck with the compiling. By the way, I use the UFO2.4 version and the Radiant 1.6, should I install the older versions and try to work from there? Could someone compile and try my maps, as I haven't yet figured how to compile?

Anyways, I think I finished the two base templates for my houses, right now I am working on some other houses and some stretch of road. I want to make a difficult map with a lot of brutal close quarter fighting.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 08:11:05 pm »
Give us more details when you have a problem. We need to know error messages, how you've got your files set up, etc. Otherwise we are just guessing.

My guess at the moment is that your map file doesn't exist in the location you are telling ufo2map to expect it.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 08:51:34 pm »
As I said and shown to you, the ufo2map file DOES NOT WORK, NOT EVEN WHEN I GIVE NO PARAMETERS. Could you please upload your copy of ufo2map.exe? Perhaps something went wrong when I uninstalled the old version and installed the 2.4 version...

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 10:48:12 am »
My guess at the moment is that your map file doesn't exist in the location you are telling ufo2map to expect it.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 12:27:04 pm »
i suppose it is not generating any output, no? this is not a problem, there should be a stdout.txt in the directory where you executed ufo2map.exe in - and there should be the error message, too

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 01:54:41 pm »
i suppose it is not generating any output, no?
YES

this is not a problem, there should be a stdout.txt in the directory where you executed ufo2map.exe in - and there should be the error message, too
NO

I am reloading the old 2.3.1 version, perhaps it will work

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 07:04:53 pm »

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 07:29:23 pm »
Problem solved, the ufo2map.exe that I downloaded with the 2.4dev is CORRUPT. I downloaded the file included with the old version, worked perfectly. I thought it was a PEBKAC or PICNIC error, I was mistaken. Pic related, it was my reaction when I discovered that it was not my fault.

PS: Thanks anyway to anyone for the help. Now I am trying to make the ufo2map work. I already compiled my maps and corrected some errors.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:24:07 pm by Latino210 »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 08:46:29 pm »
Cool! Glad you got it working.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 01:03:52 am »
Quick questions:

How to make a brush that blocks movement but not line of sight and shots (i.e. a chainlink fence)

I made myself some simple brushes to represent some "for sale", "for rent" signs. Do you think they would be accepted?

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 01:12:06 am »
I made myself some simple brushes to represent some "for sale", "for rent" signs. Do you think they would be accepted?

IIRC there can't be readable text anywhere on maps, otherwise translation would be a huge pain in the ass. If there isn't any clear text, OTOH, they get a free pass.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 03:18:11 am »
A simple sign like this has no need for translation. Hell, it has no in-game meaning, it's just for decorating...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 10:13:05 am »
A simple sign like this has no need for translation. Hell, it has no in-game meaning, it's just for decorating...

It can still be problematic if a mission appears in China (for example) and have such English signs, IMHO.

-geever

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 10:14:56 am »
hm... its like http://www.onlineschildershop.de/images/product_images/popup_images/1594_0.jpg
but i wouldnt mind. i would like to see different decorations even more when u would see signs in different languages in the game on different maps - just fair ;).
[edit: well.. if possible chinese signs in china and so on]
wouldnt hurt if a player cant translate everything on his own. but i think the devs dont want that.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 07:30:38 pm »
How to make a brush that blocks movement but not line of sight and shots (i.e. a chainlink fence)

You can set the "passable" flag on the brushes. Then create a separate brush that covers them and give it the ACTORCLIP texture. All faces on the ACTORCLIP brush must have the ACTORCLIP texture (in same folder as the NODRAW texture). They will not be rendered but will be taken into consideration for pathfinding.

For map-sets where it can be avoided, it is nice to not use text for the reasons geever mentioned. But in areas of high population density, like large cities, it will be impossible to render a believable setting without some signs. That is just one area of "reality" that we can't accomodate without an army of artists.