project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: License discussion  (Read 3621 times)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
License discussion
« on: September 22, 2011, 01:08:39 pm »
@sitters: if you could redo models from this list that would be great.

mattn, coilgun and xaw95 ammo models are probably a bug in LICENCES file only. They're parts of TrashMan's models I think... (which are CC-BY-SA 3.0)

-geever

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: License discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:40:53 pm »
hoh - good to know - i will verify this and fix the LICENSE file if can verify this.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 10:11:49 pm »
hoh - good to know - i will verify this and fix the LICENSE file if can verify this.

see here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2666.msg17135#msg17135

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:26:56 pm »
freegamer, please STOP flaming! The copied models will be replaced, I'm sure. You react like it was your intellectual property that was stolen. But we didn't wanna stole anything, and we will remove deus-ex models if you tell us which ones are they.

I'm not so afraid of eject from Sourceforge, most of our services are on Ninex already, the source is mirrored by github, only the bug/feature trackers are there and it's not even the best bugtracker I've seen. However I hope you don't want us to be ejected from SF and you don't ask them to do. I'm sure we can solve this legal issue ourselves. Thanks.

-geever

It's not flaming.  Multiple projects have been shut down (and I don't mean kicked off Sourceforge) for IP infringement.  If you guys want to roll the dice and not ensure you have original material going into UFO:AI, that's up to you, but Sitters has a record of ripping models out of commercial games and presenting them as his own work.

I've never seen sitters actually say, "Sorry, my bad, I shouldn't have done that." He just seems to ignore it.

You want to risk UFO:AI being shut down by some vindictive big game plublisher?  If not, be serious about the matter of artwork being original creations and not rips.

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:34:22 pm »
Another thing that would be useful is an honest assessment from sitters of all his models that were not originals.  Relying on players to spot common models between games is not going to be a porous mechanism for catching all rips.

Which is why it is important that sitters just comes clean about it rather than ignoring the problem until people poke the models in his face asking for replacements.

It's obvious sitters intends good things for UFO:AI, and the motivation behind producing the models is not being questioned (by me).  It would just be nice to 1) recognise that ripping models is bad and 2) identify all offending content so it can be marked for replacement.  Ignoring the issue is counterproductive.

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 08:49:20 pm »
But Sitters has a record of ripping models out of commercial games and presenting them as his own work.

I never say that ( I  modelled some copy's, never say it's original my work. ).

I've never seen sitters actually say, "Sorry, my bad, I shouldn't have done that." He just seems to ignore it.

Your talking like a woman, they also like to hear  (I'm sorry, its not going to happening again darling ).
I do not regret what I did, and what I do.
So piss off,  and go harass someone else with your bitching.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:01:42 pm by sitters »

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 12:02:06 am »
Rule 1337: Dont troll in a official thread. ;) So stop discussing "offtopic" stuff, its a showcase thread and not a troll manger. :P
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:06:07 am by Crystan »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 07:47:37 am »
this was already discussion a lot - and we removed everything from the master repo and only used this newer models that he has modelled on request. I will close this thread - use the forum search. And if he says he did them on his own, we trust him. It was our fault to not ask this from the beginning and we learned from this error. But we made the license situation clear for every new model we added (not only from sitters, but from everyone else, too)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:49:21 am by Mattn »