project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: soldier becoming old...  (Read 2133 times)

Offline jerikojerk

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
soldier becoming old...
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:09:49 am »
hi

i'm having a little thought... while soldier progress (i've almost a team of commander) they may become quicker, more accurate and soon but it will be fine to reduce the life points of soldier that get hit a lot ... so the more you use a soldier, the more probably he will die so you will have to refresh your troups.

i'm thinking of the equivalent of 2 points per grades, so it will become a big handicap if the soldier reach grade 12 ;) and when the alien comes with blasters...

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: soldier becoming old...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:06:37 am »
hi

i'm having a little thought... while soldier progress (i've almost a team of commander) they may become quicker, more accurate and soon but it will be fine to reduce the life points of soldier that get hit a lot ... so the more you use a soldier, the more probably he will die so you will have to refresh your troups.

i'm thinking of the equivalent of 2 points per grades, so it will become a big handicap if the soldier reach grade 12 ;) and when the alien comes with blasters...

I don't think that's a good idea. Forcing the player to let go of his best agents just when they've become worthy of all the microing that has went to keeping them alive would be a very discourging act for the player and would very likely cause him to give up the game in frustration. Your idea could work very well in a narrative about how bad war is and how all older soldiers will end up as a gameplay mechanic demonstrating just that, but I don't think that's the kind of thing the devs are going for and would only leave the player dissatisfied. Besides, you're supposed to have an internal hospital that is fitted with the best personnel and equipment the 2080' can give (unless the plans have changed, at one point that included cybernetics). I think they could pretty much heal anything within reason (if the guy can limp/crawl/be dragged back to dropship alive, he'll be fine).

Also, IIRC the devs have said that they don't want to force the players to refresh their soldier supply. Instead of massing guys and having "We Have Reserves" attitude, you're supposed to only have a (relatively) small handful you keep alive and train.

Offline jerm

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:16:38 am »
Hmmmm... reminds me of the Arnie look-alike agent biting on a cigar with body-parts getting replaced with cybernetics over the months.

*que Terminator theme music as his foot crushes an Ortnok skull*

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:48:37 am »
*que Terminator theme music as his foot crushes an Ortnok skull*

Kchhhrtttt!

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 08:29:53 pm »
Might as well just jumble all the synthetic spare parts together and make one from scratch.

Also, fuck you, you made me go from the Carol of the old ones to the Ter2 theme.