project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: “You must build next to existing buildings” Feature or Bug?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline LostInTime

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Hi,
First off, Awesome Game! I just discovered UFO:AI a few days ago and up until that point I never dreamed anyone would manage to create an authentic 3D X-COM experience.

After trying out the stable 2.3.1 release I was curious what was in one of the nightly builds of 2.4. This is where I ran into something which I am unable to determine if it’s a bug or a feature, when trying to build a new base I have to wait for a module to be completely built before attaching another module to it. Otherwise I get the message “You must build next to existing buildings”. My copy of 2.3 does not have this issue, is this an intentional feature?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: “You must build next to existing buildings” Feature or Bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:08:18 pm »
Hi,
First off, Awesome Game! I just discovered UFO:AI a few days ago and up until that point I never dreamed anyone would manage to create an authentic 3D X-COM experience.

After trying out the stable 2.3.1 release I was curious what was in one of the nightly builds of 2.4. This is where I ran into something which I am unable to determine if it’s a bug or a feature, when trying to build a new base I have to wait for a module to be completely built before attaching another module to it. Otherwise I get the message “You must build next to existing buildings”. My copy of 2.3 does not have this issue, is this an intentional feature?

Feature. You're probably interested in the Changelog

-geever

Offline jerm

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:17:43 am »
1st and most important rule of programming: There are no such things as bugs. Only features (intentional or otherwise).  :P

Offline LostInTime

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:18:20 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up. The differences between the 2.4 nightly and the 2.3.1 version are immense. While more bug ridden and incomplete I think I will stick with 2.4 because of all the improvements that have been made. I rarely come across a project which has achieved so much. It is a spiritual successor of X-COM that gets the formula right. Thank You.

Offline jerikojerk

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:47:09 pm »
the real missing feature it's to allow construction next to unfinished building BUT with a penalty (the building may not start to construct before... let say.. 90% of the next building is finished). So you can design you base once and don't have to suffer micro-management.