project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Love it  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Sinewave

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Love it
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:37:01 pm »
Love this game. Great job. Great effort.

Music: 5/5
Awesome, just awesome.

UI: 4/5
At first I thought this to be a 3/5, but the tooltips help. Also, the game improves on X-Com:UFO Defense's UI greatly, adding in all those things I wished for. The Geoscape view wants to be more "Google Earth" like, I want to be able to grab earth and spin it around. Also, it took me a little while to figure out how to man my drop ship and equip my soldiers.

Graphics: 4/5
Quake II, not a bad choice! I'm not a developer so I don't know what would stop you from using Source, but maybe it started before then. In any case, it's major leap forward from the original. I got sick of DOSBOX limitations and the thing slowing down when I blew up a building.

Story: 5/5
I actually read all the flavor text in the emails from the lead scientist. I like it, it's actually more immersive than X:COM.

Gameplay: 3.5/5
Again most of the changes are welcome additions. Some of the maps have places that look like you can walk on but can't. That's really weird. It took a good 20 minutes to try and figure out how to cross a stream on one map.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Love it
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:11:11 am »
UI: 4/5
At first I thought this to be a 3/5, but the tooltips help. Also, the game improves on X-Com:UFO Defense's UI greatly, adding in all those things I wished for. The Geoscape view wants to be more "Google Earth" like, I want to be able to grab earth and spin it around. Also, it took me a little while to figure out how to man my drop ship and equip my soldiers.

Regarding this bit, I think this will change once the equipping is seperated from aircraft.

Gameplay: 3.5/5
Again most of the changes are welcome additions. Some of the maps have places that look like you can walk on but can't. That's really weird. It took a good 20 minutes to try and figure out how to cross a stream on one map.

Minor point but if you spot one of those maps again, grab the map's name (and possibly random tiles) and screenshot the specific place if you think it's a bug instead of a feature and post it here. Somebody might fix it for you, or you could fix it yourself with the mapping program.

PS. Welcome to the forums!