project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: hint X-COM remake in the works with 2K  (Read 9962 times)

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: hint X-COM remake in the works with 2K
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 09:34:28 am »
I heard that this new remake is to take place in the 50's.  Sounds like a bad move imo, as the tasteless, boring, and almost comical qualities that usually characterize 50's aliens don't belong in the X-Com universe.  Not to mention all the chrome and shiny metals used in construction.  It's just too sterile for X-Com.  Hopefully they won't go down that route.

Besides that, I feel as though the way the original X-Com was set in modern, present times gave it a better fear factor.  Almost as though an invasion could really happen.  It at least made you think about the possibility.

on the other hand, aliens could never have a chance against modern weapons of humankind.
50-s means the cliche ww2 weapons would not be out of date, and i think that is very good news.
and i hope the flamethrowers would blow up when shot (which is actually not entirely correct, afaik).
i hope the scientists will have thick glasses with thick black frames (i hope that is what you call it in english), and trousers just a little bit higher than their navel, and still look very serious.

Offline Ebenezer Grymm

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 10:57:15 pm »
The trailer is out now, just watched it on IGN.  It looks... good... for a FPS.

I should clarify, the trailer only shows some of the FPS action, but there's a lot more to the game than that.  It has the central XCOM base, which you can roam about freely, where you'll take missions off of a map of America where those missions will be to do things like gather data or rescue people or a bunch of other things.  You can leave the missions anytime you want and return to base.  Using info and artifacts and other things opens up new tech trees at your base to research new weapons and stuff.  The base will also expand over the course of the game but it's not clear if you get to choose how to upgrade it or it just handles that itself.  So there are definitely some core elements of the original XCOM in there.  Sounds pretty good actually, and looks great.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 02:25:41 am by Ebenezer Grymm »

Aesten

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 08:46:11 am »
Yeah, based on the trailer, looks like it has some potential. As long as they don't try to focus on the FPS part too much and turn it into just another shooter game. At least this is being done by one of the more reputable developers. Bioshock 1 and 2 were good games. So here's hoping they can do XCOM justice!

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 11:28:25 am »
Its been a while, but its officially official.
http://www.xcom.com/xcom.html
but its not the TBS we all knew and loved

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 02:44:55 pm »
Updates on that topic:
Release date: 3-6-2012

Videos:

E3 2011: Classified Matter Trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-xcom/714655