project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Win64 installer?  (Read 5648 times)

Offline sakai4eva

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Win64 installer?
« on: July 02, 2011, 07:17:53 am »
Hi, I'm kinda new here, so please forgive me if I made a mistake.

I'm runnint Win 7 64-bit, so understandably the Win32 installer version doesn't work. How do I get the game to work on Win64?

Do I have to compile it myself? If I need to, can someone teach me (or point the way...) because I'm not very good at this.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Win64 installer?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:04:38 am »
the win32 version should work fine - win64 is able to run 32bit apps, too

Offline sakai4eva

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:50:37 am »
When I start it, an error comes out that say that this version is only for Win32, and I need to get the Win64 version to run it. Is there a workaround?

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:42:47 pm »
Which game version are you trying to install? 2.4 dev runs fine on 64 and iam sure 2.3 also.

Offline sakai4eva

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 03:18:37 pm »
Which game version are you trying to install? 2.4 dev runs fine on 64 and iam sure 2.3 also.

The one downloaded from this link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ufoai/files/UFO_AI%202.x/2.3.1/ufoai-2.3.1-win32.exe/download

It doesn't seem to work, and I have no idea how to compile/run the 64 bit version, or where to start with it anyway.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 02:33:25 am »
The one downloaded from this link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ufoai/files/UFO_AI%202.x/2.3.1/ufoai-2.3.1-win32.exe/download

It doesn't seem to work, and I have no idea how to compile/run the 64 bit version, or where to start with it anyway.

Can you please elaborate on "It doesn't seem to work" a bit, such as the exact error message you are getting (screen shot? log?), or exactly what doesn't seem to work right?

I have several computers I multi-boot with various operating systems of different versions, between them I have several installs of Windows 7, one 32-bit and two of them 64-bit, and I've run this game on the 64-bit installations of Windows 7 without ever having any issues related the version of Windows.  To be fair, I have several programs and apps that won't work on 64-bit Windows as they insist on only working in a 32-bit environment, but the vast majority of my programs and utilities work in 64-bit Windows regardless of what type of Windows they were compiled and built for.

Also, can you please tell us if you are running a "true" Windows installation or a virtual/shell environment?  In my experience sometimes running Windows within a special non-native environment can cause compatibility issues.

IIRC the installers on Sourceforge may have been cross-compiled from Linux, which sometimes causes things to go wrong, but I haven't seen this issue come up before.

I'll download and double-check the installer myself anyways though.

BTW, I've actually been trying for some time to build a 64-bit compiled version of the game, using MinGW-w64 toolchain, although I've had limited success as it seems to almost but not quite fully work.  It isn't a developmental priority for me at the moment though, as I need to finish up something else in the code before I really get back to such an experiment.