project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien tactics  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Hanny

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Alien tactics
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:19:16 am »
2.4 Build only.

Has anyone observed a dual armed ( pistol and Kelver) actually use the close combat weapon, or for that matter only armed with close combat weapon, achieve a hit on a squad member?.

Ive just watched two incidences of dual armed walk up to and past squad members without casing harm.

Offline jerikojerk

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Alien tactics
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:06:22 pm »
i know for sure they use them against civilian.

in fact what alien do is to fire then walk. once an alien as started walking "it" won't fire anymore.  so it can go across your soldier without attack.

marc

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 01:41:58 am »
Hmm, you are saying that once an alien starts to move it won't make an attack?  Although I have had aliens walk long distances without firing even though they certainly appeared to have enough TUs to make shots, even when in close range, I've never made the mental note of it being because of what you describe.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 03:42:02 am »
I just had an ortnok  kill one of my soldiers in skirmish earlier today with a plasma blade - after taking a short walk towards my soldier, coming from a corner - so I'd say aliens are quite capable of using melee weapons, but for some reason they seem to use them only rarely.

marc

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:38:59 am »
Hehe...very good point!  Bloodspiders would also be quite harmless unless you ended your turn next to one if this "no attack after move" quirk were strictly true (not that bloodspiders are all that scary).  Speaking of melee-only aliens, I don't think anything will ever replicate the awesomeness of the terror that was the cryssalid...iirc terror missions with those buggers had them infecting/transforming most if not all of the civvies into new crabby baddies.  Flying suits nullified them though, unless you were indoors, and I hated hunting them down inside buildings/UFOs.   :'(