project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Clack. Clack. [b]BOOM![b]  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Quester

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Clack. Clack. [b]BOOM![b]
« on: June 27, 2011, 05:37:30 am »
Come here you little green sucka....  I miss the days setting booby traps for the aliens and watchign them troop into a kill zone loaded with high explosive gifts for our visitors from another world.  I have often wondered, how hard is would it be to code and create a claymore-type mine into our little game.  Even special forces carry these types of weapons for settign up ambushes.  And, if you rely on a manned detonator, it would be EW proof.  For me, it makes scense to have manned kill zones to settle these little disputes when the aliens are attempting to assault a position.  Settign up killzones with a set of machine-guns are nice, but they would be more effective if we could include mines.  Not the kind you step on and go boom, but the clack, clack, BOOM! kind of claymore type mine.  To me the game just seems lackign without that kind of firepower.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Clack. Clack. [b]BOOM![b]
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:38:29 pm »
That kind of setup in the real world requires a force already in position with prep time to set everything up and then spring the surprise on the enemy when they arrive.

Phalanx is a reactive force, meaning when they go to a mission, it's always a hot drop into a situation where the enemy is already on the ground and slaughtering civilians. This precludes using mines and similar area weapons that require a setup time, since they are essentially storming a hostile target. And they need to be careful of civilian casualties, which are pretty damn hard to avoid with things like claymores and similar when the civvies are running around like so many headless chickens.

The aliens wouldn't have any need for something like that since they don't generally stick around long enough when on a mission.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 02:41:34 pm »
Would be fun for base defence, though.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 02:58:19 pm »
Proximity grenades may get into game once. But it's a long way ago.

-geever