project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: I come bearing gifts...  (Read 43193 times)

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: I come bearing gifts...
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 07:28:46 am »
But UGVs are still unimplemented so don't know when it would get used.

I'd hope for 2.5 finally after 4+ years, UGVs will be a development priority, at least in one form or another (single tile sized UGVs). Hovering/Flying units as well. Perhaps nearly invisible "active camouflage" units too. The game presently leaves you wanting more kinds of units to field, more combined arms type strategy. And opponents that don't all look and fight so much alike.

I realize this is a labor of love and the project coders have their own features of interest to pursue, but I do very much hope they'll turn their attention in this direction before the 2.5 feature freeze. Because the content for this is obviously already there but it can only collect dust as long as the engine side support is still missing.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2012, 01:58:53 pm »
Converted texture to png, fixed md2 modelpaths.
No glowmap and normalmap yet (later).

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 02:08:45 pm »
The script entries (untested yet):

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 02:13:06 pm »
Already did all of that MCR...except changing the txture to .png.  ;D

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 02:26:54 pm »
Trashman, is this supposed to be a laser rifle or what? Do you have a vision for its tech?

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 06:58:33 pm »
Nothing specific.
I just named it pulse rifle as it sounds cool.  I had only the vaguest idea of it as a rapid fire energy weapon of a sort.

Plus, I wanted to try out making two different kinds of laser rifles.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 09:33:50 pm »
Already did all of that MCR...except changing the txture to .png.  ;D

We are using .png because it is a lossless, free format that compresses much better than .tga thus improving loading performance while delivering highest possible quality.
Also I had to change the texturepaths because of that and our specification where we use texturepaths that start with a dot and have no extension.

Sry also for hijacking your thread, but I needed a place to quickly attach the files to ;)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2012, 10:10:44 pm »
no problemo.
Just tell me if you get the rifle wokring..

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2012, 01:33:07 pm »
Another idea I'll toss out there, although Trashman probably won't like it. What about using this rifle to replace our current assault rifle? The model/texture on this is much better, we'd just need to remove the green glowing ammo.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »
Another idea I'll toss out there, although Trashman probably won't like it. What about using this rifle to replace our current assault rifle? The model/texture on this is much better, we'd just need to remove the green glowing ammo.

I had the same idea. Also i dont like the design of the current rifle. And what about using the version with the longer barrel as a late tech rifle, using advanced bullets (perhaps green glowing?^^)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 02:19:08 pm »
I plan to implement some advanced bullets at some point for the 2.5 balancing project. But these would use the same rifle.

The short/long versions could be a tactical choice like the FN SCAR's short and long barrels (short is more maneuvarable and quicker to fire, long has greater accuracy but more cumbersome to aim). I think, though, that we're not likely to have this kind of detailed  rifle customization in the game for now. It's more likely the long barrel version would be a skirmish-only weapon. That wouldn't prevent anyone from making a mod to put it into the campaign, though, something I highly recommend. ;)

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2012, 02:41:32 pm »
I plan to implement some advanced bullets at some point for the 2.5 balancing project.

Yay, good news!

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2012, 03:27:00 pm »
So we finally get to pump them full of projectiles a little bit longer?
Awesome.

Come to think of it, the assault rifle does look like grampa FAMAS is stubornly fighting retirement as well as the early alien hordes and the UFOPaedia says it's been prototyped in 2057, putting it at 27 years old at the start of the game with a description very much reminding one of an AK.
Pretty sure the most elite troops on the planet would be capable of operating something better, given the circumstances.
 The pulse rifle, on the other hand, does very much remind of G11 if its clip was on the bottom of the thing rather than top.
 Oh and it's called a 'pulse' rifle, right? Well, Ivan has something that could be called that...in a way. Say...make the most basic singleish shot modes (snap and aimed) either fire two bullets at the same spot, if possible or simply a single, special bullet that does double (or slightly higher) damage.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:43:44 pm by Nutter »

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2012, 05:25:40 pm »
Oh and it's called a 'pulse' rifle, right?

I just named it pulse rifle as it sounds cool.  I had only the vaguest idea of it as a rapid fire energy weapon of a sort.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2012, 06:38:42 pm »
We got 3 different assault rifle models already...and you want to use this for the assault rifle?

Talk about a waste.. Re-doing the same weapon 10 times insted of adding new ones.