project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: I come bearing gifts...  (Read 42681 times)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: I come bearing gifts...
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 10:47:51 pm »
I don't know what you have planned, by as I said, if I were you, I'd make two different type of lasers - continous and pulse.

Continous fires a long-lasting single beam (what current lasers should IMHO be). It has no "burst" secondary mode, but either a more powerfull beam, or a longer duration beam. If you want to go the extra mile, you can model the fact that a weapon like this practicly can't miss (you can literaly slice the opponent with a beam, there will be contact), but the damage done depends greately on exposure time (accuracy).
Example damage of 40 with a variation of 30 (10-70 damage)

Pulse fires in ultra-short pulses. So either like ye olde laser blasters from SW or Lasgun from Dawn of War.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 08:41:50 am »
I'm pretty sure that's what our lasers do at the moment. (Continuous) Wave and Pulse are the two firemodes.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 09:30:17 am »
Wave doesn't work like the continous I described. Mechanicly and balance - wise.

And I was talking about a specilized wave laser rifle and pulse laser rifle. But whatever. It was just an idea. 8)

EDIT:
Technicly, you could adjust the width/cone of the beam with a wave laser...trading power for accuracy. Hmmm......

Speaking of which, if you get the gun working, to tell me WTF I did wrong cause it keeps crashing my game.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:45:01 pm by TrashMan »

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 09:36:39 am »
I didnt get it too. Do you mean something like the phasers in StarTrek (shooting tubes around)? If yes, i asked mattn 2 years ago to put it in - but i think it wasnt easy - cant renember.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 10:23:44 am »
Think of this little experiment.

Take a laser pointer and try hitting somenes who's dodging with it. Keep switching it on and off while doing it. You will be missing msot of your "shots".
Then keep the thing on all the time and try hitting someone. There is no way you will miss. At some point the beam will interestect the target. At least once.

The current Wave laser works like any other weapon.

What I propose is that the Wave laser practicly always hits. But the damage done depends on the accuracy of the soldier (how long a contact can he keep)
Basicly the damage would go from 1-50 or something. Extreemly variable.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 12:03:42 pm »
Remember: The human weaponry is quite full. New weapons can be added to multiplayer and skirmish, but have no place in campaign.

-geever

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 12:47:49 pm »
The human weaponry is quite full. New weapons can be added to multiplayer and skirmish, but have no place in campaign.

There is no such thing as enough guns.
I will be adding them to my own modded campaign.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 12:57:19 pm »
Remember: The human weaponry is quite full. New weapons can be added to multiplayer and skirmish, but have no place in campaign.

-geever

:-[

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2012, 01:13:21 pm »

-geever

Dont agree. Actually i think we have not enough researchable weapons. I would prefer some late tech projectile weapons like improved sniper rifles, autoguns etc. Also i dont like the wave laser guns, theyre boring in my opinion. ;)

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2012, 01:42:50 pm »
A (very) high tier electromagnetic assault rifle using all the advances gained during the course of the game would be a fun thing to carry for the final few missions.
After all that hard work surviving the invasion, the guys and gals should get some decent boomsticks of local design again, after all.

But this is probably stuff for a different thread anyway.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2012, 03:22:33 pm »
Veriety is the spice of life..

JA2 has hunderds of rifles and they all use the smae basic principle. I've yet to hear anyone complain. That doesn't mean that UFO:AI should have 50 different assult rifles.

But some variety and enhancements would be nice. Things that enhance existing weapons (HEAP bullets, plasma missiles?) or different variants of existing weapons (we have two shotguns and 2(3?) assault rifle models.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2012, 03:36:07 pm »
+1 for what Crystan, MCR and Trashman said.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 04:55:24 pm »
researcheable weapons is not human weapons but alien ones.

«A (very) high tier electromagnetic assault rifle using all the advances gained during the course of the game would be a fun thing to carry for the final few missions.»
What`s wrong with coilgun?

And we miss models for some designed weapons and craft equipment, btw.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 05:28:43 pm »
researcheable weapons is not human weapons but alien ones.

A human built-weapon made for humans is a human weapon.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 11:45:50 pm »
What`s wrong with coilgun?

Using that one for anything other than bombardment makes you deserve getting the barrel shoved up your arse by an irate Ortnok.
Honestly, I only brought it up because the pulse rifle pic made me think it'd be an awesome assault rifle/carbine.