project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Easy way to help out - Firebird model  (Read 10030 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Easy way to help out - Firebird model
« on: May 18, 2011, 11:50:32 pm »
Here's an easy way to contribute. In many of our maps, the firebird dropship has bad collision information, so soldiers can walk into the interior walls. If you have a couple minutes, load up a quick map (Single Player > Skirmish) and check it out for us.

If you find a soldier can partially disappear into a wall in the firebird, take a screenshot (F12) zoomed far enough out so we can recognize the map (provide a ufoconsole.log if you can, if not a screenshot will do).

Maps recently found to have problems:
+forest
+bomber_city
+bridge
+cemetery
+city_disco
+community_centre

+construction (entire firebird craftdrop tile impassable)
+desert harvester_crash
+druglord
+eaglenest
+gasstation
+italy
+japan (japan_big has map name +japan small and freezes UFOAI when loading a skirmish)
+mart
+oriental
+military_convoy
scout_crash
+shelter
+spedition
+stadium
+transport
+village
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:17:24 pm by H-Hour »

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Easy way to help out - Firebird model
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 06:51:49 am »
Should we report the issues found in this thread or use the Firebird Model Problems thread in the mapping subforum?

Or would it be a better idea to open a new tracker item for the issues? Or reopen the old one?

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:34:39 am »
+forest should be fixed, or so I hope :-)

tilli

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:37:08 am »
Edi, I will likely see it wherever you put it. I just posted in this forum to attract the most attention. And I'll keep the first post updated with a list here.

Tilli, great!

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:04:54 pm »
Blast! When i find something i actually am capable of doing (im horrible with computers)! My computer itself screws it up! =( My laptop has all kinds of technical buttons (volume, screen brightness, info button, quick e-mail button and junk like that) integrated to the F-? buttons and they preform the primary function in them. Actually i am unable to change the sound while playing UFOai! I have to set it before playing because theese button conflicts cause the game to crash! At least i thing it is about the buttons...

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:22:03 pm »
Blast! When i find something i actually am capable of doing (im horrible with computers)! My computer itself screws it up! =( My laptop has all kinds of technical buttons (volume, screen brightness, info button, quick e-mail button and junk like that) integrated to the F-? buttons and they preform the primary function in them. Actually i am unable to change the sound while playing UFOai! I have to set it before playing because theese button conflicts cause the game to crash! At least i thing it is about the buttons...
Don't you get the possibility of using Fn+F1-F12 to get the same effects? That's the way it usually works...

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 05:17:10 pm »
You can also provide a ufoconsole.log. When you find the problem, simply exit the game and attach the file to a forum post.

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 07:28:17 pm »
Well. Iv'e tried to reconstruct the situation: i opened UFOai and tried to change the volume. I haven't done so for about half a year, so i didn't really remember the whole effects: UFOai DID crashed, but along the whole damned computer crashed! Needless to say i was unable to get the console log. =( Computer itself is back up and running, but that was a good reminder for me to avoid touching the F(insert number) buttons again while playing... Anyway im terribly sorry for being unable to recover the console log...

Edit: Im using the version 2.31
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:46:38 pm by Tamanfodder »

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 02:39:22 pm »
+laboratory is fixed also.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 07:00:23 pm »
+bridge should be fixed also. (I hope)

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 10:13:30 am »
I'll compile a list of maps that have this problem with the Firebird in version ufoai-2.4-dev-1305475972. I will ignore the ones listed as fixed here.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 11:05:33 am »
Well, that didn't take long:

According to the skirmish tests I ran and the information in this thread, the firebird models currently stand as follows:

Problems with soldiers phasing inside the back wall:

+bomber_city
+cemetery
+city_disco
+community_centre
+construction (entire firebird craftdrop tile impassable)
+desert harvester_crash
+druglord
+eaglenest
+gasstation
+italy
+japan (japan_big has map name +japan small and freezes UFOAI when loading a skirmish)
+mart
+oriental
+military_convoy
scout_crash
+shelter
+spedition
+stadium
+transport
+village

Fixed:
+laboratory
+forest
+bridge (should be)

I did not test the maps that did not have a dropship specified. In the Firebird Model Problems thread I asked about a couple of things related to the model. There are two possible fixes: The one used in +forest and the other used in the +industrial and +city Firebirds

Now that I've seen both version, I would prefer the one that is used in +forest where the soldiers are close to the back wall and it would be great if it was the same in all maps. If that fix could be coupled with a new firebird model where the doors were a bit wider from behind the engine intake to allow three soldiers to walk abreast (see screenshot from +hills map to see what I mean), that would be super.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 11:28:47 am »
Oh man, that's so many! Thanks for the list Edi. Now I just have to find the time to fix these.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 12:18:54 pm »
There are two possible fixes: The one used in +forest
Just for information, the only thing I did was moving the firebird model a little bit until it lined up correctly.

tilli

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 12:57:01 pm »
Just for information, the only thing I did was moving the firebird model a little bit until it lined up correctly.

tilli
Okay, thanks. In order to get it to look the same on all maps, better if it's done the way it's been in +forest, so that there is little space between the soldier and the back wall. That will get consistent behavior across all the maps.