project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Geoscape Message List in Windowed Mode  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Geoscape Message List in Windowed Mode
« on: May 19, 2011, 01:49:12 pm »
I have the following problem with playing in windowed mode (which is the only mode possible since SDL breaks ALT+TAB and freezes mouse if fullscreen mode is used):

With resolution 1920x1080, which is the native one for my monitor, the topmost message in the geoscape screen is not visible, only the two or three bottommost pixels of it. The reason for this is that the Window bar at the top takes up some space and the message text is hidden beneath that. You can really only view the message after another message pops into the queue. This is, to say the least, highly annoying.

Would it be possible to move the placement of the message list top to one or two rows below the very top of the geoscape screen? This would handily eliminate the problem without needing to add something like a frame for the entire geoscape screen.

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
Re: Geoscape Message List in Windowed Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:23:41 pm »
Why not change the resolution to be somewhat lower? Personally, when playing windowed I set game to use 1600x900 window at my 1920x1080 monitor. Covers almost all desktop area, but doesn't give such problems.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Geoscape Message List in Windowed Mode
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 11:28:51 am »
Why not change the resolution to be somewhat lower? Personally, when playing windowed I set game to use 1600x900 window at my 1920x1080 monitor. Covers almost all desktop area, but doesn't give such problems.
Actually, that problem seems to have disappeared after trying a couple of resolution changes. Probably reset some parameter and calibration while doing so, turning this into a false alarm.

An issue that is more annoying is that when playing in windowed mode, battlescape scrolling with mouse works fine sideways but not on the vertical axis. Scrolling up works if the cursor is placed just so and scrolling downward is impossible without the keyboard. It doesn't seem to recognize reaching the limit of the displayed area.